Hash, Inc. Forums

14th century character...

Hi guys and gals. I haven't gotten to use AM for anything creative in a bit and was really starting to feel the lack of creativity in my life.. So this Sunday afternoon after church I sat down and started working on a character just for fun. And I was reminded once again why I don't use anything other than animation master... and how wonderfullly easy it is to just make stuff!

post-341-1236613603_thumb.jpg

post-341-1236613635_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the comments guys... the rigging .... is my worst enemy since TSM bit the dust... though I can't wait to see this little dude animated. I might give sign track a try for the face.

Another update. Still planning to try modeling the beard per Agep's idea. Here are some pants!

post-341-1236627284_thumb.jpg

Beautiful character!

I agree wih Matt, he does remind me a little of one of the lead characters from 'Eldorado'. There is probably more than a little post church influence in there too. :)

the rigging .... is my worst enemy since TSM bit the dust

TSM2 is now free, thanks to Raf's generosity, so you should be able to find a link to a download somewhere in these forums.

Thanks guys, he's coming along. I have to say that I really loved the characters in 'el dorado' so there was certainly a bit of influence from that time period ;)

Really about TSM? Do we know if TSM still works with V14? I bought it right after TSM2 came out but I presumed it wouldn't work with V14. I have the download here somewhere. TSM and weight mover together made it so I could actually rig stuff effectively for the first time.

Another update.. I played with some different boots for a bit... the last one is what I ended up with.

post-341-1236639441_thumb.jpg

post-341-1236639470_thumb.jpg

post-341-1236639500_thumb.jpg

• Hash Fellow

"the horse is a surprise..."

my favorite line from El Dorado

Yes, TSM2 is alive and well. When you install it make sure you're installing it to your v14 A:M, not the default v11 it tries to find.

El dorado is classic! :) Here is a little beard experiment... honestly I'm not sure which I like better. They seem to have two different feels. Any comments on which is the better way to go? I might lean myself slightly toward the texture beard.

Thanks,

-Ethan

post-341-1236789795_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

The way I figure it... every hero needs a woman right? Spent a long time on her face trying to get a feminine look. Her outfit is by no means done I kinda threw it together after spending a few hours on the face.

-Ethan

post-341-1239164761_thumb.jpg

Nice characters. I think her face could be more differentiated from him. She looks great,

but she looks more like a twin sister than a mate. Just an observation, your actors are superb.

Michel

Hey thank you for the encouraging words and comments guys! That is a helpful link on the differences between the faces Meowx thanks!

Animus you're right they do look alot alike.... I was trying to maintain the same style in both characters. I was afraid if I changed them to much I would lose the style. But they do look like twins now.... Maybe I can help that out with eye color and texturing a bit. He'll have a 5oclock shadow and if they have different hair colors... maybe I can get away with it.

Here is an update on the dress for her!

post-341-1239258782_thumb.jpg

Thanks Nancy! I love modeling... the rigging is the killer for me..... which brings me to your question sheldon.. I'm not sure what I'm going to do about the rigging... when it does come time to rig them I may have to simplify the clothes a little to make it easier. If I can get simcloth or dynamics working I will for sure :)

Here is the beginnings of his arch nemisis...who will no doubt vie for the affections of said damsel. Mostly just the face work here... I'll get a good classy dark out fit going for him eventually.

post-341-1239495446_thumb.jpg

Hmm good point. Here is a lot of tweaks to both characters. When I put them together they really didn't feel like they "matched" in style.. so I changed a bunch more details... I may have taken the hero character to far with that. Anyway, here's an update thanks for hte comment. your right I tried to make him more sinister and bad.

post-341-1239636990_thumb.jpg

They are both excellent, but I have to tell ya - I had a hard time trying to figure out which one is supposed to be the villain. I thought it was the guy with the beard - but then I went back in the thread and saw he was supposed to be the good guy.

We're talking stereotypes in modeled appearances now.

They both look young, handsome, appealing with their big doe-y eyes. As it is now, the one on the left (without beard) looks even more innocent. Perhaps the bad guy needs beadier eyes?, less of a litheful, wispy body, more beefy brawn? Taller?

Or, of course, you can distinguish the bad guy further with sinister colors, texturing in outfit, wrinkles, imperfections, scars...

Or as an interesting twist, have the bad guy be even more handsome and appealing than the good guy, he then would be even more threatening to the good guy.

However, even as the way they are now, the bad guy's nastiness could just be distinguished by the script dialog, the voice acting, and animation acting choices.

Hmmmm hmmm.. you raise some interesting thoughts Nancy..... I think you are right... I do want them both to be handsome and appealing. The villain I don't want to be "the devil incarnate" but just noticeably evil.. and the hero should be just a bit more innocent and appealing than the villain. Which isn't happening right now. I can see what your saying... The solution to the problem from this point I would like to be to leave the villain about the way he is.. maybe make him a hair more sinister. But then just to "fix" the hero" to be more handsome, more debonair. So.. how to accomplish that... uhg... some of my changes to make them "match" by giving hero man more edges to his face.. may have caused him to lose some innocent handsomeness. I'll have to bring him through another bout of tweaks. Faces are so complex in there subtly it's amazing!

-Ethan

• 4 months later...

Hi dre4mer, I found this post a while back

http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=22912

and loved what you had done with the sleeves of the shirt with SimCloth and have been working for weeks now on my model. Getting no where fast.

My model has a scarf, and robe ( with long sleeves ) that I would like to have move like you models sleeves.

Would you have any suggestions or settings that you used to point me in the right direction?

Veda.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • Hash Fellow
Thanks guys for the comments! I would love to animate him.... the hardest part for me is rigging though. Gack.... since TSM 2 died I've been afraid to try and tackle rigging again.

are you on a mac? TSM2 works on PC

Well I know he doesn't look all that different but I had to remodel his eyes because the way they were they weren't very animatable, plus he was a little cross eyed! Also, re meshed his hands a bit which you can't see but they look the same, to accommodate animation. Numerous other small changes, so he would still look alright closer up.

post-341-1254548392_thumb.jpg

Thanks Robert,

It's currently a "render as line" spline. I'll see how that works for animating, seems like it could potentially be problematic. I'll slowly keep pushing toward rigging him. I installed TSM2 yesterday per your suggestion! Haven't gotten to actually attempt rigging him yet, but I will soon!

-Ethan

• 3 weeks later...