Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

New character WIP

Hi all,

Haven't shown anything really new in a while, so here's a peak at my newest character, to go along with the elegant lady and gentleman I did a while back. He's sort of the head of the investigation agency. At least, that's how I see him now. And I think he says "Jolly good" a lot, too. I need to give him some thin hair on his head.

Jim

older-man.jpg

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the comments! Even your sentimental message, Bud. :P

Yup, the moustache is too square. It's just dropped the material onto a few patches and didn't apply any controlling decals yet. I'm trying to do this character in the OSX alpha to help with the bug reporting. So maybe I'll try the decals soon.

Now that you mention it, I do see some Vincent Price in him. I want to stay away from making him look like a "badguy", but I want to make him pretty stern.

I was toying with the idea of a monocle, but wasn't sure how vintage British that would look. In my head it seems more vintage German (I don't know why), but I could try it and see. I'm definitely going with a pipe. I don't know why all these characters seem to need to smoke, but I'm just rolling with it.

Thanks again,

Jim

• Admin

Incredible as ever.

Especially love the spline shots you post as this lets us know a little of the superb technique you use.

Do you still have the Abe lincoln on your site?

Perhaps a hair treatment on him would catch the eye of the masses off the list/forum.

Rodney

Splendid spline work Jim.

I agree with others, the bags under his eyes are wonderfully crafted and observered. Sneaky use of 3-point patches also.

There's some nice warm turning edges on his skin, is that just good lighting or are you using some shader or other?

Personally, I think he looks French, like Charles de Gaulle! :rolleyes:

Thanks one and all!

"Butler" did cross my mind as I was modeling him. Maybe he's the head of ops while just disguised as their butler....okay, maybe not. :)

Javier, I think I'll make him just a tea drinker. Someone has to be a clear thinker in the bunch.

Rodney, the Abe model is lost, due to a stupid back up mistake by yours truly. Sigh.

Stephen, I'm just using lighting at the moment. He is colored only with group surface colors, but I will start the textures soon, I hope. He does look more like De Gaulle. Perhaps I'll have to focus more on clothing as a clue. How about a bowler on his head?

Robert, I will definitely be adding quite a few wrinkles as I progress, right now he's untextured.

Thanks,

Jim

Very nice character, Mr. Talbot. As others have mentioned, the bags under his eyes are nicely crafted - but are there really 3 point patches there? It looks to me like 4-point patches that become closely approximated and overlapped, so you don't see the 4-point patches beneath the bottom of the bags. I can see a spline terminating into a 5-point patch towards the inner eye area that can also be misinterpreted for a 3-point patch.

How well does "hooks" into 5 point patches work during the animation phase? Can it handle any deformations without popping or seams being created? I've just gotten back into A:M - so, I've been out of the loop for quite a while.

Again, very nice job!

Very nice character, Mr. Talbot. As others have mentioned, the bags under his eyes are nicely crafted - but are there really 3 point patches there? It looks to me like 4-point patches that become closely approximated and overlapped, so you don't see the 4-point patches beneath the bottom of the bags. I can see a spline terminating into a 5-point patch towards the inner eye area that can also be misinterpreted for a 3-point patch.

How well does "hooks" into 5 point patches work during the animation phase? Can it handle any deformations without popping or seams being created? I've just gotten back into A:M - so, I've been out of the loop for quite a while.

Again, very nice job!

3pointpatch.jpg

eye-area.jpg

I do have a couple 3 point patches tucked away in the face, as seen in the first image. I had to go back and check whether I had any in the eye area or not. Even though the angle of my original screen capture looked like there were 3 pointers there, I kept them all 4 pointers with a couple 5 pointers farther out.

As far as I know, I haven't hooked into any 5 point patches. I don't even know if you can. I try to keep hooks in areas that are generally smooth and surrounded with enough cp's to get the job of animating done.

I haven't noticed any popping of hooks in the last year or so, maybe because of my placement of hooks, but I think the Hash guys worked on it some. I've just started getting into animating so I may not be the best source.

Jim

Geez louise and holy smokes! *how* do you do it! - what do you have planned for him and his comrades which you mention?

superb as always :o

Thanks! I'm not sure what they will be for. I'm kind of having fun watching them develop. But they seem to be leaning toward being in a quasi-James Bond world, but set a little farther back in history. I have no story or plans for an animation, but I will probably do some still scenes and some animation tests just to learn.

Thanks,

Jim

Lovely Jubbely Jim! My only criticsm on this peice is that his skin does look a little plastic... perhaps a bump map or two showing pores and wrinkles would give it a bit more depth. Anyway the render is lovely and I gotta learn to do this meself.

I am looking forward to some of your animations. I kinda did Hash around the other way, I learnt rigging and animation first and now I am learning more about texturing, mapping and lighting :(

• Admin
Rodney, the Abe model is lost, due to a stupid back up mistake by yours truly. Sigh.

AAAHHHGGGHH.

Somebody invent something to stop this madness!

Keith Lango's Secret Joys of Myopia and Jim Talbot's Lincoln lost... forever...

Was it harddrive failure? Or file corruption?

absolutely gorgeous Jim - from the subtle wrinkles on the brow to the upper lid overhang.. brilliant.

My only comment would be that in places the 'liver spots' seem too uniform or flat if you know what I mean. They just don't seem to sit so well on the upper lip, above the brow or the bridge of the nose. I find texturing above the brow is a nightmare - there's so little detail to play with. And the nose may just be the uneven flatten problem that often occurs when you've got a largish nose - not you Jim, yer man there!

But I'm just nitpicking - it's like chiseling away at a monolith with a toothpick.

My only criticsm on this peice is that his skin does look a little plastic... perhaps a bump map or two showing pores and wrinkles would give it a bit more depth.

I take it back... you were gonna do that anyway - you sly old devil! I fink it looks bloody marvelous! I would love to see you making a texturing video for Hash, it would be on the top of my 'to get' list ;)

I would love to see you making a texturing video for Hash, it would be on the top of my 'to get' list ;)

Gazz,

Perhaps you haven't seen these?

http://homepage.mac.com/talbotj/FLATTEN-TUTORIAL.zip

http://homepage.mac.com/talbotj/FEATURES-TUTORIAL.zip

http://homepage.mac.com/talbotj/EYEBROW-DETAIL-TUTORIAL.zip

http://homepage.mac.com/talbotj/EYELASHES-...IL-TUTORIAL.zip

The bump map tute will be next, when I can find the time.

Jim

Im jealous of everyone here. Everyone is so good. I can only do somple characters. Im not trying to make you guys feel pitty on me but im just saying. I wish i could do stiff like that. Ive tried doing tutorials but its just to confusing. Where did you learn jeff?

Uh, it's Jim. :)

I've been using A:M since v5 (about 6 years?) and all I've done with it, until this year, has been modeling characters. One is bound to get better in that amount of time.

If you can't learn from a tutorial, then you'll have to teach yourself. Just start modeling something, anything. Stitch more splines into it and notice what happens in different situations. Pull cp's outward and try to make them into something, an arm, a nose. Model things out without trying to make a masterpiece. Make it a fun learning experience. And if it bombs who cares, just make sure you learn something from it.

Jim

• Admin

Jim,

Have to say you're sharing of techniques, images, etc. impresses me.

If I had your talent I'd probably invest in locks, security camera, electric fences and whatever else I could find to keep the trade secrets.... um... secret.

Sure glad your not me! :lol:

Rodney

(Tonight on A:M Channel: Jim Talbot: The inspiration. The man.)

Hi Jim! Thank you for the pictures and informations you are sharing. I'm just playing with bump maps in v. 10,5 and I found that bumps are MUCH(!) improved! Whan I was working on Perk in old v.8,5 I have to make bump maps at least 4-times bigger than color maps and then soften them a little to get similar antialiased effect as we could see on your renderings! Rendering quality has really improved in last few months.

Ross,

I use a Wacom tablet (exclusively, no mouse). The bump map is a duplicate of the face color decal. I changed it to grayscale and deleted the layers that weren't neede, like the rosey cheek and nose color layer. I just use the mesh template as a guide for where the wrinkles should be. Sometimes I wrinkle my face up and feel the direction of the wrinkles or look in the mirror to get a better idea of their direction. No vector paths, just freehand drawing with the stylus.

Jim

Just because you're so damned good, J., I'm gonna throw you this crit:

The effect of his face being so... organic has made his clothes stand out in a poor contrast for me- detracts from the image. :lol::rolleyes:

I couldn't resist... wanna see you go to town on his clothes now. :ph34r:

Love the hair! It's really softened him up. My only comment would be that the moustache is a little too neat, especially along the top edge.

Out of are your render settings and times for this image

Thanks, Sam. You're right, I need to work on the moustache. I knew I was forgetting something!

If I remember correctly, it took around 6 minutes to render, with 2 ray casting lights and one z-buffered light, 9 pass multipass at 600X800 pixels. There are 2 different hair materials on him and I gave it a tiny bit of bloom and softened it a tad in Photoshop.

Jim

6 minutes is really good going seeing as you're using hair - though his age related lack of it may be to your benefit!

Have you tried using A:M's native bloom 'post effect' on one of your renders? I've been playing around with the 'post effects' myself and have been very very pleasantly surprised by their capabilities.