Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Photorealism

Hisako 100112

i was fooling around with some skin texturing in A:M and i can't get it to look photoreal. Can A:M produce photo real graphics or do i need to invest in another program?

i have seen some amazing images done with A:M so maybe it's the images i am using. if it's me and not the program what could you all recommend to me to make the skin textures look more realistic?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can A:M produce photo real graphics or do i need to invest in another program?

Those "photorealistic" images don't just magically happen. It takes skill and talent. Photorealistic skin is the holy grail of 3D software. Yes, AM can produce those results but like any program it isn't a "one click" solution. You could buy something else and not have any more success. You would still have the same issues involved with texturing, lighting, render times etc.

I wish I had more advice for that technique. Hopefully some others have more input on that. It often isn't just "one" thing. There are many ways to achieve the look of "photorealistic" skin.

-vern

• Hash Fellow

The reason there isn't a simple answer for skin and a single pre-made material for skin is that skin has different colors and textures and reponse to light at every different point on the body.

The good news is that all the 3D programs, including A:M, pretty much do all the same things in terms of coloring, texturing and lighting, so if you find tutorial by some one who has developed a good strategy in another app, you can probably translate that to A:M usage.

Texturing is always the toughest part in any 3d program. AM works the same as most of the others where you have different channels for diffuse, bum, specular etc. There is Paint for AM which I really like. I usually set all my decals with a blank grid pattern (uv unwrapping) then launch Paint and go to town. The rendering engine in AM is really nice, comparable to programs that cost much much more. I used to use Max, EI and Carrara and now I pretty much do all my work in AM. Hardest part in AM is the modeler, though very powerfull it isn't a poly modeler where welding points and creating faces is even applicable so you really have to plan out what you want.

Back to texturing, snag gimp or paintshop pro for their seamless tile filters. This will help tremendously when making your own textures.

http://www.virtualmediastudios.com/tuts/mapping/index.htm

This is where I would start.

It's from Rusty, one of the masters of AM.

I doubt you'll find a better road map than this.

Why thank you TNT! It's always nice to come across something like this. Jim Talbot also has a real nice tut on texturing the face -- nowhere as complex as mine and I think his is more for stylistic characters. However, in his tut he adds faint specels of red and green to the skin and I liked the effect so much that I've added it to my process and I would have added it to my tut if I'd known about it at the time. His tut is excelent and I recommend it along with mine. I think his tut presumes you know more about AM and Photoshop then my tut... mine is really good for someone who doesn't know AM and/or Photoshop too well.

Ye Ole 'Master of AM',

Rusty