Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Cupid's Sick Day

Shelton

• *A:M User*

Ok here is the walk cycle rendered with net render with sss, hair etc, on one machine took to 2.5 hours with 5 passes.

Steve

Edit

The walk cycle was created by the talented Mark Skodacek. I tweaked the legs and feet but otherwise this is Mark's walk cycle.

walking_0000_0120_.mov

Looking really really good.

I can't help but try to give more ideas to think about. The one improvement I would suggest is to try to move more of her weight over her hip that is being planted on the ground. In this example, the yellow is her current spine. But if you move the pelvis/hips, tilt it a bit so the opposite leg is down a little farther, and then bend her upper body up straight a bit ... it's just a gut feeling, but I think that will make her center of gravity a little more evenly distributed over her one foot that is on the ground.

weight.png

• 1 month later...

Having to rethink using sss. On the models I have seperated the skin geometry and still getting a flash where the skin hits itself. The fingers will show the flash. In the case of Cindy, I can not seperate the skin grouping.

Not sure if this a bug or how sss is programmed.

Steve

tony0.png

• 3 weeks later...

I have been reading on set design and lighting, working on background characters, reworking extra cd and dvd characters for background use, learning about rigging, (getting frustrated on weighting), cleaning up characters, reducing patches on models, and beginning to realize "what have I gotten myself into", but having fun all the while! Just not a whole lot to post right now. I hope to have another set of characters rigged in the next few weeks. I will try to start rigging the faces. Mark has been patiently guiding and helping me get things going. i hope to have a new character modeled and rigged for the forum project to help me back into animating.

I have enjoyed all the activity on the forum and looking forward to the revised TOAM tutorials, not only for me but some others that I have convinced to try AM.

Steve

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Work has been keeping me busy the last few weeks. I have, however, been doing notes and timing of movements and videotaping movements to help get a flow of the animation. What I have found is my little animating practices have been very slowww. When I render them out there is no fluid movement of the character, but when I am animating it feels right. I will begin to upload more test animations to help me get a better feel for the timing of the movements. Thanks for your help in advance

Steve

• Admin
Hoplite sword, helmet inspired by immortals

:blink:

Good grief man!

And here I was only looking for modeling inspiration from near-immortal folks that hang out here in the forum like Robert Holmén!

(Sorry, I officially revoke my license to practice humor for that attempt)

These are looking great Steve!

If you are having a lot of trouble with metal textures consider applying Mat Cap shaders but apply the shaders only in the specific Named Groups where you need them, not everywhere. Then only turn on the shader in the rendering panel, don't set a specific shader there.

Thanks Rodney!

Here is the last sword I will do. Shield is almost done and so is the spear. The head of Ares is almost done as well. Armor and greaves along with tunic and arm covers. This has been fun portion

Steve

swords0.png

• 1 month later...

The last month has been a busy month at work and with other things. Lost a family member this week and, well, it puts things in perspective. On top of that I had opened a minecraft server for my son a month or so ago and thought it was on a seperate ip address, conficker b worm made its way in and this week I have been cleaning machines like crazy. Thank goodness my wife's machine was not infected. Every machine on that IP network was infected even though virus protection was in place. That worm bounces from machine to machine once it starts. The server hosts the worm and it took me several days to find it on the server. I have four other severs that had to be cleaned as well. All the plans of mice and men..... this week was supposed to be the week I was able to get back to Cupids and Rear window projects. Instead it was a week of machines all over the house being cleaned. Well Chris is to return today and we will get started back on the rear window collaboration and maybe next week will see some changes to a project (Cupid) that has gone cold.

Steve

• 1 month later...

Thought I would do a keep alive note.

Cupid has been yelling at me to get back, but with family life and other things just have not had the extra time. With the rear window project about to kick off, it may be a few days yet. Be patient Cupid!!

Steve

:huh:

• 8 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Thank you Robert

Over the weekend I found a treasure trove of all my past projects. I lost a server in 2009 and I thought all these items were lost. I had made a back up on my wife's WD passport. Now I have access to characters I created from 2006 when I started in AM to 2009. I am still missing a few items but was excited when I found this folder.

This is from a children's video I animated for called Papa FixIt. It was my first paying gig in the realm of character creation and animation. The characters were crude and I would have not have made it without the help of David Simmons. He rigged three of the characters for me! I created the background in Vue 4 and all the foreground in AM. I had two sets the tool shed and farm house and the field where the fence was being built. With that I created a dog, a cow, a horse, a talking pencil, and the main character a talking tool box. All the things in the tool shed and all the things in a tool box were created in AM. This was before Handy Manny, not saying they copied Papa Fixit, but I finished the video first :) The video was a thirty minute live action all filmed in front of a green screen with my animated characters interacting with the live characters.

I said it was a paying gig, Well, I think I calculated one time all the cost in being the animation department for the the video and I think I got paid 1.65 an hour. The sad deal it was a good idea of a project and if the producer would have let me finished it would have been alot nicer. I actually had all the animations in block mode / pass when he stated it was good enough for what they were doing. It is still hard for me to watch the video today knowing all the issues. We tested with kids from 5-9 in age and was received well. Lowe's and Home Depot agreed to carry it in their stores but due to some legal issues they wanted some parts refilmed. The producer decided to sale it on the internet and maybe sold 500 copies.

Here is Papa's Pencil from 2006

Steve

pencil0.jpg

Last ones

Here is Sooner the horse. She was by far the hardest to rig. David used the quad rig and finished the rigging for me. This was done in version 13 and the hair was brought forward from version 12 I think. I started the project using version 11 upgraded to 12 and by the time we finished version 13 was released. Here is Sooner from 2006

right1.jpg

threequarterfinal0.jpg