Hash, Inc. Forums

Kong - modification

mtpeak2

Will Sutton's Kong model is a great model. Awhile back I rerigged with the squetch rig, but when I imported the model into the rig, I lost the hair grooming (which is fixed now). Well, I finally came back to it and I redid the hair on the character. Unfortunately the squetch rig is an older version, so I'll rerig again to update it to the newest version once I get the hair right. The original Kong model looked a bit puffed out to me with hair turned on and rendered. So, I made a few changes to the model to suit my taste, most of it was to the hair material. Here's what I have to far.

kong.jpg

• ____ 1

Lookin' good, Mark. The hair is nice and thick.

I always wondered about the scale of the follicles. Given his tremendous size, wouldn't Kong's hair follicles be enormous, too? Big enough that they wouldn't blow in the wind? :-)

You did a great job with the texture, thickness of the hair - but I think the facial hair pattern looks a bit odd - I think The Kongster needs a bit more on his face - here's some reference photos of mountain gorillas - old slides of mine, circa 1984, taken before Dian Fossey was killed and before the genocide in Rwanda.

youngmalegorilla.jpg

momandbaby.jpg

I don't think Kong was a mountain gorilla, though I could be wrong. I didn't change the hair group on the model, this is what Will had already. I could add the chin to the hair group. Here's a better look at the face, the camera angle and focal length kind of distorted the face in the first image.

kong_face0.jpg

I don't think Kong was a mountain gorilla, though I could be wrong.

Silly me...You're right! He was probably from New York or Hollywood...Don't know what I was thinking.

Here's link to lowland gorilla pic -

http://www.solarnavigator.net/animal_kingd..._stern_face.jpg

link to King Kong from movie (2005): (higher forehead - more hair)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6...g_bigfinal1.jpg

Here's what he looked like in 1933 - more old fashioned gorilla (without his zoot suit)

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm110987776/tt0024216

If you're trying for stylized - then it's whatever you want him to look like. Your version looks like it's aiming for realistic (to me).

Actually, this Kong came from Ooltewah, TN. ;)

Realistic is not necessarily the goal, the model would need an extreme overhaul, if that was the case. The face would need alot of tweaking for that to happen.

All I'm trying to do is make a better hair material.

• ____ 1

much better, I think, makes him look wilder and more uncivilesed.

Great job on the hair so far!

I don`t know if this is easy to do, but could you post an alternative with the hair a bit thinner, denser and shorter and maybe darker over all,

just to see , what this would look like?

Is this better Nancy?

awwww...he's just downright adorable.

I like him just as you have him - as he looks like a young buck Kong, able to scale at least 6 stories - a mature and more menacing skyscraper climbing alpha male would probably have a higher & more pronounced forehead (click on picture as its an animated gif)

kong_face_2a.gif

Edited by NancyGormezano

Actually, this Kong came from Ooltewah, TN. ;)

I don't know... I thought he might have been covered in ice and stuffed in a big freezer in someone's backyard. ;)

Squetch rig on Kong? Yeehaaa! It gives one a whole new perspective on how that famous last scene of him falling off the Empire State building might look... Wiley "Kong" Coyote...

-vern

Thanks Masna.

Here's the closeup. The problem with these setting for the hair, which I was trying to avoid, was render times. This took 32 minutes to render with default lighting, not very practical for animation.

The mouth shape is bugging me, need to do something with that.

new_face0.jpg

>Here's the closeup. The problem with these setting for the hair, which I was trying to avoid, was render times. This took 32 minutes to render with default lighting, not very practical for animation.

>The mouth shape is bugging me, need to do something with that.

May be you could also insert the 2008 rigg into him?

(I always planned to do a stylized Kong myself along the lines of the old black and white "Migthy Joe Young" or the old Aurora plastic model.

Here`s a picture . Maybe some of you remembers him or even have a better picture?)

;>) Jake

KingKongAurora.png

that´s great! the long rendertimes with hair are always a pain in the xxx.... maybe you could lower the density a bit and make the hair a bit longer with more length-variation, maybe a bit kinkier too... so you could save a few minutes per frame eventually....especially the hair at the legs are a bit too short and uniform IMO...

i always like watching your projects, i´m looking forward to the jungle he will jump through... ;)

Thanks Sebastian.

Want to test Kong out in a scene. I took Jim Talbot's Jungle Queen set and place Kong in it with a quick pose. I had to lower the density of the hair for this to render, still experimenting with the settings. I have to play with the lighting too, it's a bit dark.

kong_scene0.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys.

Did a little more work on Kong. Made some adjustments to the hair materal. Still have more weighting to do (mostly hands and face) and setup the FACE. I need to do some texturing on the inside of his mouth. Now, if I could just build a set like that.

[EDIT] Just a quick update to the inside of his mouth. Blurred the image a bit too.

kk0.jpg

• Admin

Mark,

That is looking sweeeet! :)

I'm curious.

Did you use the Post Effect 'Bloom' on either of the last two images?

It definitely has that look. (Which looks great)

Edit: Earlier I was going to suggest there was something a little flat about the face. I couldn't decide what was giving me that impression. In looking now I think it might be the front four top/middle teeth. If its not just the camera angle perhaps they may be just a little too straight? Adjusting the outter teeth just a very tiny bit would suggest depth in the jaw. If this is just camera angle please disregard.

I don't think Kong was a mountain gorilla, though I could be wrong.

Silly me...You're right! He was probably from New York or Hollywood...Don't know what I was thinking.

Here's link to lowland gorilla pic -

http://www.solarnavigator.net/animal_kingd..._stern_face.jpg

link to King Kong from movie (2005): (higher forehead - more hair)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6...g_bigfinal1.jpg

Here's what he looked like in 1933 - more old fashioned gorilla (without his zoot suit)

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm110987776/tt0024216

If you're trying for stylized - then it's whatever you want him to look like. Your version looks like it's aiming for realistic (to me).

No links to Hollywood gorillas?