Hash, Inc. Forums

If "Print Screen" won't work...

Kelley

• Admin

A:M doesn't but there are many programs available that do the job.

Its good to have one of these programs because the Print Screen key can only capture single images.

Most of these programs capture images continuously to a sequential series of images or every time you press a specific shortcut key (usually user definable).

Two of my favorites for the PC are Irfanview and Wink. (but there are many out there)

Wink being the more powerful of the two for screencapturing.

Its really odd that your keyboard/computer won't do this however.

Perhaps the paint program you are using doesn't have a standard paste buffer?

You can test this by pasting into a program you know accepts pasted images (like Windows Paint).

I don't have it set up that way right now but you can give A:M the screen capture functionality by adding one of these programs to the Customized Tools menu. Then when you select it on the dropdown menu... the images are captured without leaving A:M.

Make sure there isn't some setting to set or button to push FIRST to make the prnt scrn work. Laptops can be strange beasts.

Also make sure your keyboard actually HAS a prnt scrn button. I have an XP box with a shared keyboard for the Mac. It's a Mac keyboard so I'm sure that's part of the problem. Even though the "prnt scrn" is theoretically "there" on the keyboard, as in there is an F key that corresponds to it, the stupid PC just doesn't care. The volume key works. All the important keys work... not prnt scrn.

In my research it appears that the print screen button is... unique and unusual. It's very difficult to change it to something else, reassign a different key (or fix it when it's broke). In my research the easiest solution was to get a screen capture program... that was actually EASIER than fixing the prnt scrn button which involved some funky system modifications that might not even work.

-vern

Irfanview is my preferred program. But Wink is quite useful to.

Irfanview home page (added note from website: IrfanView is provided as freeware, but only for private, non-commercial use (that means at home). IrfanView is free for educational use (schools, universities and libraries) and for use in charity or humanitarian organisations.))

Wink (debugmode) home page download (added note from website: Freeware: Distributed as freeware for business or personal use. However if you want to redistribute Wink, you need to get permission from the author.)

Irfanview is my preferred program.

I downloaded Irfanview. Apparently, this program does everything. But all I want is 'Print Screen'. Without reading through all the topics, FAQ's and other documentation, can someone just point me to Irfanview's version of 'Print Screen'? Thanks.

I always thought you had to push ALT/PrntScr at the same time.

'Must be a good deal of variation in how OEM's set up their keyboards. ALT/PrintScr isn't working on my laptop [COMPAQ] and just a regular 'PrintScr' does it on the HP desktop. However...The Snipping Tool is definitely the way to go! It's in the Accessories section in the Start-Up Menu. Thanks again, Ken.

ALT + Print will make a screenshot of the current window while Print will make a screenshot of the whole screen-areas... (especially annoying on a multi-display-system.)

I attached a small programm called "DarkShot" which can be although downloaded here: DarkShot by Darkleo

The site is in german, but you can just download the package I attached and save the content of the zip-file in a folder and it will be in English.

The good thing about the programm: It is very small, doesnt need many ressources and is nevertheless very powerful.

For example it will save a series of screenshots to a certain place, captures the whole scrren or only specific areas, etc.

See you

*Fuchur*

DarkShot.zip

Pressing the function key (fn) and the print screen (prt sc) at the same time doesn't work?

B'Gawd! It does work. I've been using a computer since '94 and this is the first time I've ever used that key! What else does it do?