Hash, Inc. Forums

Starting a new career!

PF_Mark

Hi Friends and fellow movie Project particapants

Some of you already know that I used to work in the Auto Sector until Dec 2008. Well that is over and I have been trying to switch careers and have I enrolled into a Local college for a nursing program I find out March 1st if I am in and I just been accepted for a entry position in a healthcare facilaty starting in march which is going to employ me as a work my way through college. who says 45 is to old to start over LOL ;) Will after a couple months of hard work trying to re-employ myself I starting to see results and beginning a new adventure. This is going to be fun and hard work but that's fine I like to work hard learning something new!

:D

I have a cousin who did the same thing. He went from construction to nursing and is now an RN. He is at least 10 years younger than me though but still he made us all proud. He tells the most disgusting stories at family reunions. I have to cover my ears and go "Blah blah blah! Can't hear you!".

-vern

• 2 weeks later...

Survied my 1st week of on job training and I really enjoyed it! I have to wait tell march to see if I am accepted into RPN course. I also completed my 1st Aide CPR leve HCP and I write my entrance exam on teh 28th of this month. Wish me luck friends!

• Admin
Survied my 1st week of on job training and I really enjoyed it! I have to wait tell march to see if I am accepted into RPN course. I also completed my 1st Aide CPR leve HCP and I write my entrance exam on teh 28th of this month. Wish me luck friends!

Go get 'em Mark!

Break... Splint a leg!

Hi Friends and fellow movie Project particapants

Some of you already know that I used to work in the Auto Sector until Dec 2008. Well that is over and I have been trying to switch careers and have I enrolled into a Local college for a nursing program I find out March 1st if I am in and I just been accepted for a entry position in a healthcare facilaty starting in march which is going to employ me as a work my way through college. who says 45 is to old to start over LOL ;) Will after a couple months of hard work trying to re-employ myself I starting to see results and beginning a new adventure. This is going to be fun and hard work but that's fine I like to work hard learning something new!

:D

Congratulation. :) we have three family members in the medical field, its a noble choice.

best of luck Mark

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Well I am waiting for school to start only 3 days left tell my frist day. I have all my books :o and there are alot of them! I got a call a couple of weeks ago that I got a new scholarship program (2nd Careers) awarded to me. That will help out alot, now I can concentrate on school more now. I think I am going to relax for the last couple of days I have been working hard to get myself here. I keep you guys posted!

• Hash Fellow
Well I am waiting for school to start only 3 days left tell my frist day. I have all my books :o and there are alot of them! I got a call a couple of weeks ago that I got a new scholarship program (2nd Careers) awarded to me. That will help out alot, now I can concentrate on school more now. I think I am going to relax for the last couple of days I have been working hard to get myself here. I keep you guys posted!

O Canada is sounding like the place to be these days!

• 3 months later...

Update

1st Semester is done I have my final marks and I have done well in all my classes (Dean's List!). I also made some new friends and have been very busy with school and Practicum. I am off on X-mas break and starting the 2nd semester Jan 11th.

It seems that for me this has been the right choice for me. I often hear from persons that they feel it harder for adults to go back to school. Although this is something we need to consider, seeing we are all individuals. I like to encourage everyone to think this possibility when bored, frustrated, or even laid off from their current career. Try to look for opportunities in set backs. I am glad I did!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I had an amazing experience in an observation day in Surgery on

friday. I witnesseed a thorcotomy lung resection. this is were they

open the chest wall and removed a thrid of a patient right lung. this

was because to a tumor. I was allowed to be within three feet of the

patient and the surgen had me right behind him looking over his

shoulder. They even gave me a stool so I could see better. The scrub

nurse was a recent RPN graduate that took some upgrading and this was

her 5th day on the job. The surgen stopped the surgery to show us both

parts of the procedure up close with anatomy lessons one a living

person. I was given some tasks that made me feel an actual part of the

procedure. I was allowed to hold the resected lung in my hands. I

followed my patient from him walking into the preoperative assessment

to ICU after the surgery. It was an amazing life experience.

Mark Allan

wowzers! They must think very highly of you. I hope you are a non-smoker, I think it's ironic when you drive by a hospital's back door to see all the nurse's and health care professionals out having a ciggy.

Thanks for sharing... sounds like you are not getting much time to 'spline'...?

wowzers! They must think very highly of you. I hope you are a non-smoker, I think it's ironic when you drive by a hospital's back door to see all the nurse's and health care professionals out having a ciggy.

Thanks for sharing... sounds like you are not getting much time to 'spline'...?

I wonder about the high percentage of smokers as well. It's a stressful profession with allot of demands some of my co-students have not faired well not because of the high academics requirements but the stress and pressure of the academics and working environment gets to you.

My wife bought me a Gibson SG for X-mas and I trying to keep working with that as well as my studies to relieve stress. Hopefylly I can post something some time to show you guys. So no time for splining or animation :(

It was the first time these people meet me the surgen really likes to teach and they watched me. If you do not show signs of passing out they ramp it up after 4 hours I felt as if I was working there. I was very lucky to have that surgen and that team. I surprised myself I have trouble watching this stuff on TV but I meet the patient and got to know him and maybe that was what helped me I did not want to leave him.

• 1 month later...

I worked with a girl who had a degree in medical illustration and she spent many hours in the operating room watching and sketching surgeries. She told me one time that watching in person never bothered her, that the only time she felt faint watching this stuff was one time when she had to watch it on a TV monitor.

I think I see it's your birthday today, Mark- HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Hope all is well on the 'Bruce Peninsula'!

??? um...er...I don't see it...but Happy Birthday anyway JUST IN CASE this malicious rumor is true!

(maybe Canada & Detroit have a different calendar than California?, eh?)