Hash, Inc. Forums

Thumbs up, Thumbs down...

rusty

Hi!

If the thumb is level with the hand, the bottom of the thumb points at about a 45 degree angle down and toward the hand. If you move the thumb down, it rotates and at the lowest level it points toward the tip of the little finger. I can imagine several ways to accomplish this in the TSM2 rig however, has anyone else devised a way? Also, does anyone know if any of the other rigs account for this?

Thanks,

Rusty

• Hash Fellow

I think it helps to not model the thumb onthe same plane as the fingers.

hanging_thumb2.jpg

hanging_thumb.jpg

I also think it's just a matter of making sure the thumb is boned correctly. The first bone starts almost at the wrist.

touchpinky.jpg

I'm not sure what you are fishing for here...and it's hard to see what you are doing with your hands as you type... but I too, have noticed there seems to be at least ONE control rotator missing in the thumb controls on TSM rigs...you need to be able to rotate the thumb's axis, and that control has been given over to the thumbs TSM flexor ability. Hope an answer arises for you... I fear the only one would be Mr. Raf Anzovin... who developed TSM/TSM2... and I think the words 'Animation:Master" are not even in his vocabulary these days...

Hi!

Thanks to each of you for getting back to me!

It was Steve Anzovin, Raf's father, that died on Christmas day a few years ago.

The world is a sadder place without him that is for sure.

Amen to that. I never met Steve but so many emails passed between us that I felt like I knew him. He went out of his way to help me (and all others) so many many times. He'd actually write back to make sure things had worked out! That was so sad. My heart went out for Raf. I miss him.

I think it helps to not model the thumb onthe same plane as the fingers. I also think it's just a matter of making sure the thumb is boned correctly. The first bone starts almost at the wrist.

Hmm... I prefer doing it the other way (I don't think it should matter either) and, I bone the thumb correctly (looks just like yours). Your images are of a 3 finger cartoon hand -- for a realistic human hand with 5 fingers, your second image looks 'so' wrong. But despite all that, I must admit that the third image looks right! I'll have to look at that some more (I have some of the TWO models which I think you did and that I use for reference all the time).

I'm not sure what you are fishing for here...and it's hard to see what you are doing with your hands as you type... but I too, have noticed there seems to be at least ONE control rotator missing in the thumb controls on TSM rigs...you need to be able to rotate the thumb's axis, and that control has been given over to the thumbs TSM flexor ability. Hope an answer arises for you... I fear the only one would be Mr. Raf Anzovin... who developed TSM/TSM2... and I think the words 'Animation:Master" are not even in his vocabulary these days...

Fishing to see if anyone has done anything for this in the TSM2 rig -- Although I using the TSM2 rig I haven't been keeping up with the TSM2 posts and I don't like re-inventing the wheel. It's easy to envision a fix for this. Whether there's really is an easy fix is another story LOL. I think you have the same thumb bones but you attach the mesh to either 2 or 3 added bones -- just duplicates you create. These bones are tied to the original bones via a relationship that provides the twist. Maybe?

I think you're right about missing the ability to rotate the thumb.

Cheers,

Rusty

• Hash Fellow
but I too, have noticed there seems to be at least ONE control rotator missing in the thumb controls on TSM rigs...you need to be able to rotate the thumb's axis, and that control has been given over to the thumbs TSM flexor ability.

I think you need to choose "advanced" fingers. the base thumb bone is freely rotatable.

Hmm... I prefer doing it the other way (I don't think it should matter either) and, I bone the thumb correctly (looks just like yours). Your images are of a 3 finger cartoon hand -- for a realistic human hand with 5 fingers, your second image looks 'so' wrong. But despite all that, I must admit that the third image looks right!

one more finger wouldn't be too much to reach to. Modeling the thumb on the plane of the fingers places it at one extreme of its typical movement. Better to start in the middle so the mesh doesn't have to deform so much to get to the other extreme.

I'll have to look at that some more (I have some of the TWO models which I think you did and that I use for reference all the time).

No, I didn't model any TWO characters. Some of those were flat handers and some were not, but those were all Squetch rather than TSM2.