Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Secondary Color

Master chief

ok iv been experimenting with the boolean cutter and know can make some pretty good looking impact scars now, what i need know is the ability to apply a secondary material to the model so that the inside of the part that is cut away shows the secondary material. ie i blow up a metal wall and the freashly showing metal has a differat texture than the normals wall

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ok iv been experimenting with the boolean cutter and know can make some pretty good looking impact scars now, what i need know is the ability to apply a secondary material to the model so that the inside of the part that is cut away shows the secondary material. ie i blow up a metal wall and the freashly showing metal has a differat texture than the normals wall

If I understand you, you want to make the boolean cut out a different material?

Once you create the modeled steel. Create a group for it and drag the steel material to the group.

Then create a group for the cut out model that's assigned to the boolean bone and drag a material to that group.

Render and done.

Here's a quick example.

booleen_example.mov

Here's the project.

Boolean_example.prj

• Admin

I want to add this link to the mix.

Here is the official write up on Specified Booleans.

...and here is pretty much the same thing without images:

SPECIFIED BOOLEANS

To make holes in complex geometry, it is sometimes necessary to use bones that cut using boolean operations. Boolean operations require special attention because they utilize the raytracer, and hence are only visible when rendered.(Also, boolean operations are not considered for z-buffer shadows or post effects like volumetrics).The rules for boolean operations are strict:the boolean cutter bone geometry AND the geometry to be cut MUST be closed surfaces (a sphere for example).To use a bone as a Boolean, build the cutting geometry, assign the control points to a bone, and select the "Boolean Cutter" option on the bone's Properties dialog.When rendered, the cutter bone's geometry will subtract from the model's other geometry, EXCEPT for geometry associated with bones that are children of the cutter bone, (in this way you can define parts of the model that lie inside the cutter but are to be left intact).

• Admin
Hey Rodney, that's good info on Specified Booleans. I was unaware of this use for Boolean Cutters.

Boolean cutters can be very useful tools.

Animated Boolean cutters... even more so.

But you need to plan ahead and close your objects.

Note that we can get away with boolean cutters cutting into geometry that isn't fully enclosed but when we do we are risking rendering abnormalities when objects are seen at certain angles. The only way to ensure optimum results is to use enclosed shapes/volumes in both the cutter and the target object. For this we need to plan ahead as we model and close both cutter and target.

If the operation is really simple and the image static you might be surprised with what you can get away with using unenclosed shapes. Just be aware of the risk in rendering as you do.

I haven't tested booleans enough to know when and where we can break their rules. Hopefully someone else has and will share what they've learned.