Hash, Inc. Forums

Camera motion tracking?

danf

If I have video footage that involves motion, let's say a pan, and I want to apply this video as the background to my main A:M camera (for the sake of putting things in the right place), is there a way to automate this camera's movement to match the original camera's, so that the scene stays stationary while the camera has a pan?

If I have video footage that involves motion, let's say a pan, and I want to apply this video as the background to my main A:M camera (for the sake of putting things in the right place), is there a way to automate this camera's movement to match the original camera's, so that the scene stays stationary while the camera has a pan?

You'll need to use an external application like Syntheyes or pfhoe. If you want to know about them just search the forum for those keywords, they come up in a new thread every six or eight months.

If you want to save yourself some money, you can do the same with Icarus or Voodoo, which are both free. I made a tool called ICAM that makes it easier to import data from those applications to A:M. You can find the tutorial and downloads links here: www.zigncreations.com/icam/index.html

So the ICARUS and ICAM are awesome, and I've started to try out a test shot.

I suspect the problem I've hit is mac version specific. After I drag the imported movie onto my Camera-1 Shortcut, instead of the footage becoming the background for the camera, the camera background turns black, and other parts of the interface are turned into my imported movie:

rotocamglitch1.jpg

If I can't see the footage, there's no way I can objects up on it, let alone correct the aspect ratio...

Does anyone have experience with the mac version enough to know how to make a rotoscope movie play correctly?

I partly suspect it could be an issue w/ A:M recognizing video codecs. Are there any codecs that are reliable to import, or do I have to create a huge Targa sequence every time I want a video roto?

TGA is always the way to go. Hard drives are cheap, and you'll not realistically track a HDD-filling sequence, you'd break the video down into manageable chunks. Also, A:M doesn't easily cope with non-integer framerates