Hash, Inc. Forums

walk cycle

petokosun

• Hash Fellow
and is it possible to make a character squat with the tsm.

A TSM2 character doing a squat.

TSMsquat.mov

the PRJ: TSM2Squat.zip

I hope this ends the controversy. :)

But seriously... you gotta be more specific about your problem. I've done walks with TSM2. It's just fine. B)

There are some videos in the tutorial link in my signature about making walks.

There's also a vid about "Keyframing Options" there you should be familiar with before you try something like a walk.

• Hash Fellow

I see quite few things not done right.

For example "torso" has been changed to be a child of "pelvis". It needs to be a child of "body". That's how TSM built it.

I also see that the Foot IK Control bones have been moved to be children of the lower legs. They need to remain at the very top level of the heirarchy.

Also CPs have been attached to the control bones that Rigger makes. No. You attach CPs to the bones that you have after you run Builder and Flipper. Thy will get hidden after you run Rigger, but they are the bones that the CPS go to.

Similarly I see that the fan bones aren't part of the geometry bone heirarchy. You've been attaching them to the control bones that Rigger makes. That wont' work for long.

I'm sure there are other things I haven't caught. I'd have to really dig into it to figure out why the legs fly around, but I know that doesn't happen in a regular TSM rig.

In the TSM2 folder inthe Hxt folder in your AM folder there is a manual that explains the workflow for installing TSM2. I recommend starting over and installing TSM the way the manual shows. Dont' guess. Don't try to skip steps.

Not following the steps in the manual is making it WAY harder than it needs to be.

Yes, Robert is correct. You have scrambled the rig while attempting to install it. Never mind though because that's how we learn.

I hadn't tried TSM2 with A:M 15 and I wasn't sure if some incompatibility had crept in so I tried it for myself. It all seems good to me.

post-183-1231638962_thumb.jpg

KM00.mov

I did record a demo as I insalled the rig but it came out at 115MB and about half an hour. I may try to do a shorter version later.

As more time goes by and I get more chances to try out other rigs...installing and animating... I find myself growing more and more FOND of TSM2. There is not much you can't do with this versatile rig. Animating with it is a joy. Installing is very intuitive with good documentation. The more times I use it the better I get with it... and I've probably only rigged about 15 characters with it... lately I've dug it up again (THE PRICE IS RIGHT!!!) and it works very well in V15+...

Thank-You Raf and Co./God bless you Steve!

Petokosun, I rigged your character several times, (rather roughly), in my efforts to produce a tutorial with sound. The file size was just too big to be practical so I gradually lowered the amount of screen that I captured, reduced A:M to about a quarter of the screen size and finally had to leave out the sound all together in order to get a smallish file. Even so this file is still 21 MB when zipped. That means this TSM2 Rigging Demo might be a bit harder to follow than I would have liked. I hope it helps some though. Just remember to use the following keyboard commands when manipulating the bones and you should be alright: "N"- Move, "S" - Scale, "R" - Rotate. Using these commands will ensure that you are manipulating all of the bones in the selected branch. Also be sure to keep all of the roll handles facing the correct way when setting up the geometry rig.

post-183-1231637672_thumb.jpg

TSM2_Demo.zip

TSM2 rig was installed in 13 minutes and 23 seconds.

Please note that, in order to keep the file size as low as possible, I have not taken as much care rigging this model as I should have and I haven't even assigned the finger CPs to the individual finger bones. ( I have done that too many times today). Also I haven't added any fan bones or done any CP weighting. There are some minor mistakes in there and I'm sure that the verbal explanation, that would have come with the audio, would have been helpful.

Happy rigging!:)

HOLY COW! That's SERVICE! Peto, you will never find another animation software where you ask about rigging your character and actually get TWO expert users who volunteer to show you step by step on YOUR character... I'M BLOWN AWAY!

WAY TO GO PAUL! AWESOME ROB! I hope other newbers look in on your demo to see how to use TSM...

I remember when I had finished modelling MY first character back in 2000... and then went about the rigging process with TERRIBLE results. I was dismayed. ALL I wanted to do was to model and animate... I didn't want to learn how to be a technical guru and master the constraints, mysteries and puzzles involved in rigging---then TSM1 came along... and wooof! I was animating! MY character!

People should realize how lucky we are here in A:M-land... there are SEVERAL 'bonified' rigs readily available and easily implemented... the MAYA users have to pay BIGTIME to buy TSM2 for MAYA... we are quite fortunate... THEN there's the 2001 A:M rig, the 2008 A:M rig, the 'Lite' rig... am I missing any?

Matt, you missed the best rig of all, the Squetch Rig.

I am really happy with the TSM2rig. I would gladly switch to the Squetch rig if I could find some comprehensive video tutorials like I have with the TSM2 rig. Could you point me in the right direction.

Guys,

i need help again,

i re rigged my character and every thing work perfectly, but in my chor, i tried to bend the finger bones, and so strange the finger bones are not bend as in making fist with it. am stocked dont know what to do next.

please i need help.

robcat,

i think i got a solution but its more of a trick, i hope i dont have problems from this latter on.

i delected the top two bones of the finger, manually atteched another bone to the base bone of the finger, like making the base bone the parent, and it worked for me, i play with this and lets see how it goes. thanks