Hash, Inc. Forums

Morphing and Caricature

Rodney

• Admin

Many years ago I noted that my favorite artists all tend to be fairly good at caricature.

I've struggled with caricature myself.

Everyone has the potential of a caricature artist in them and with A:M they can easily do it themselves.

Isn't this a better response to the oft asked question from new users; "How can I animate my images?"

Of course they really mean "How can I convert my images to 3D.

But perhaps its better to take their question literally?

In the end they'll learn not only how to animate their images but how to better ask their questions. Then having learned how to animate their images they'll be better prepared to apply what they've learned with 3D objects in space and time.

Of course you can animate images in Animation:Master!

This particular project consisted of a 6 x 5 mesh grid with a static single image decal.

Using sequential images to create lipsync or squash and stretch effects, increasing the density of the mesh, or animating the grid in 3D perspective adds to the fun.

Morphin' images.

Free with every subscription. :)

(Disclaimer: I have no idea who this guy is. He was the subject of a drawing tutorial at www.drawspace.com and I appropriated his image.)

AMcaricatures.png

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, that's coool Rodney! Some of A:M's biggest strengths lie in it's simplicity, and this is a great reminder. Is there a reason you listed this in the 'fellows' forum? Seems like good info everyone could use to illuminate a potential use of the product...

• Admin
Is there a reason you listed this in the 'fellows' forum?

Sure is. :)

(I'm a little tired so hopefully the following makes a little sense)

I believe its a good idea to discuss some of the more esoteric features of A:M here in the Fellows Forum where we can compare notes and refine things before we release them for general consumption.

More than a few of A:M's undocumented features are not particularly good for release to the general public.

They may not provide an optimum approach or they may not work equally well on both Mac and PC. They may not be cool or 3D enough.

Some may confuse or distract or create interest in things better off not discussed.

Morphing images is a tip of the hat in one of those directions. (At this point I'm not sure which one)

One thing seems clear to me though, it represents an idea that hasn't been tested thoroughly enough.

I've long wished the Fellows could do more of this type of thing; test stuff and help define A:M's future.

Not by creating wishlists but by innovating with what we've got.

• Admin
I like it, Rodney!

Coming from you David (extreme innovator that you are!) that means a lot.

I should be very clear here though that morphing images in A:M has pretty much been there all along.

I hope no one thinks I'm trying to take credit for this. ;)

For this Morphing thing I'm am not really expecting any great response.

Most of you have surely been scratching your heads and saying, "um... Rodney... hasn't that's been there since version 1?"

But... I would like to see us play with more of this stuff behind the scenes here in the Fellows before we launch things off. :)