Hash, Inc. Forums

Render Mode Issue (Bug?)

RayDragon

The issue occurs when I use the render mode and depending on the detail involved, it will cause the program to show a 'not responding' message at the top of AM program's title bar (where the project name is listed).

This issue also occurs in renderring lock mode, however, it works perfectly fine when renderring to a file.

Working with AM v15.0

I disabled desktop composition.

System

Alienware Custom M17 Notebook

Video/Graphics Card: Dual 512MB ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 3870 - CrossFireX™ Enabled!

Processor: Intel® Core™2 P8400 2.26GHz (3MB Cache, 1066MHz FSB)

Chassis: 17-Inch WideUXGA 1920 x 1200 LCD (1200p) with Clearview Technology

Operating System Windows Vista® Ultimate (64-bit Edition) with Service Pack 1

Memory: 4GB« Dual Channel DDR3 SO-DIMM at 1066MHz – 2 x 2048MB

Please help.

Thanks

Ray

• Hash Fellow

It's possible that A:M is just really busy and would come back if you waited a bit. What are you rendering? What is the "detail" you are varying?

"Not responding" sounds like a message you'd see in the Windows task manager, but I've never seen it in a title bar. :blink:

The "not responding" can happen if you try to close an application that is... uh... not responding. You click the close "X" and you get a pop up. I've found that sometimes this means a bad thing or it just means that AM is busy. I would recommend waiting at least a few minutes before assuming something bad has happened. After some time it will be obvious especially if absolutely NOTHING is happening including the render bar at the bottom not progressing at all.

I've been burned many times assuming that AM is not doing anything and forcing it to close only to discover it needed a bit of extra time to get going.

-vern

I don't do anything or hit anything. I just wait. It does finally finish but it's not rendered. It's still in wireframe. It does show the Not responding at the top. Nothing pops up and under the task manager it also shows it's not responding.

I'm not forcing the program to close by hitting the "X". Like I said in the beginning, it finished, but stayed as wireframe and the "not responding" goes away. The only thing I was trying to render was an actor from the actor's folder for the first exerise.

It would be interested for me , if users with nvidia gpu's also affected from this issue .

Render Mode, Render Lock Mode, etc.; it all works fine for me. I did have a problem with OpenGL on this new machine, but after switching to Direct 3D, all problems went away.

Dell T5400 Precision Workstation

Intel Xeon X5460 Quad Core 3.16GHz

Vista Ultimate 32Bit SP1

22' Dell UltraSharp LCD

Nvidia Quadro FX 3700 512MB

DiretX 10

4GB RAM

Just guessing here. Are you rendering a scene which contains a large amount of hair or do you have a large displacement map with the camera very close to the surface? It might not be either of those that are causing the problem but they are my first suspects. It would help to know what materials you are using.