Hash, Inc. Forums

copying chr objects?

PF_Mark

I have created a 3d model of a fatty acid in a chr using diffferent colored sphers and cylinders and I want to make 2 more of these but they take alot of time. I thought I just export one into a mdl file then import that file and save time. When I Export the multy objects fromt he chr into a model it loses he colors how can I keep hte colors? I should have created this is an action but I aleady but alot of hours into just on fatty acid model and I need more for my assignment.

fatty_acid_atoms_single_0.jpg

• Hash Fellow

I just tried this in V13..... if I colored at the model level the colors do get lost upon export to mdl.

But if I make a group for the whole model and do the color on that, the color will survive the export.

are those balls originally colored in the property for the ball model or do they have a group that is colored?

I changed the properties of the model to get he color I wanted but if I use groups it works thanks. This is mt finished model

fatty_acid_Triglycerides0.jpg

What I am doing is working on a correspondence course in Biology. One of my assignments is to make 3d models of compounds. what they suggest is to use different colored candies and tooth picks then to sketch out the model using shading to show a 3d object. So I started dropiing sphers into a chr and cylinders as the tooth picks ;) I changed the properties of the surfaces to make them different colors. But then I realized that alot of things are repeats and assembling these took time. So I wanted to speed things up and export my chr into a model then bring that model into another chr. So if I instead of changing the properties I creat groups and change the colors in the groups this works. Here are some more items I created.

So my next is Maltose which is 2 glucose molecules joined so I start by converting my glucose chr into a mdl.

Dipeptide0.jpg

Glucose0.jpg

Mark, do you use the "muliple copies" plugin? That thing is great. I use it all the time even just to copy one or two shortcuts in a choreography. Some of the more complex models could be zipped out pretty quick.

-vern

Can you give me a link to a tut about that I like to try that.

• Hash Fellow
Mark, do you use the "muliple copies" plugin? That thing is great. I use it all the time even just to copy one or two shortcuts in a choreography. Some of the more complex models could be zipped out pretty quick.

-vern

Can you give me a link to a tut about that I like to try that.

I guess he means Steffan Gross' plugin

http://www.sgross.com/plugins/plugin16/index.html

Yes, that's the one. Sorry for not posting the link earlier.

This plugin is a god send. Previously there was no way to duplicate or copy a model in the chor so it had the same settings as the original. You had to copy all of the properties to the new copy from scratch. Now it's very simple to make copies of model shortcuts in a chor. Plus of course, being able to rotate and offset them.

-vern