Hash, Inc. Forums

*** Paul's Playground ***

Paul Forwood

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hash Fellow
I will have to model some helmet hair for her if I want to use AO. I may just do that but I wasn't intending to go that route initially.

A light rig will get you the AO look without the limitations. render time probably not dramatically different, either.

A light rig will get you the AO look without the limitations.

Are you refering to one of those complex spinning light rigs that Yves has spoken about in the past? Don't they require lots of passes? The sample I showed was only one pass.

Spinning light rigs brings to mind this video that I watched the other day. It is a Google Tech Talk by Paul Debevec about the cutting edge CGI stuff that he is so involved with. It is about an hour long but very watchable. I found it riveting. He has some pretty amazing light rigs.

• Hash Fellow
A light rig will get you the AO look without the limitations.

Are you refering to one of those complex spinning light rigs that Yves has spoken about in the past?

Yes, but they aren't hard to set up. There are several ready-to-use out there for the taking.

Don't they require lots of passes? The sample I showed was only one pass.
It is a multi-pass thing.

Here's my point: How long will it take to render real hair with AO? If the two don't work together the answer is infinity, which is a lousy render time.

With a multipass light rig you can have the hair, you can have the AO look, and all the other things you can have with multipass like jittered lights for accurate shadows, accurate motion blur, softer jittered hair, real DoF....

I know you can make helmet hair look great, but real hair could be very impressive.

Hmmm. Definitely sounds worth investigating.

Thanks, Robert. I'll give it some attention.

--------------------

Edit:

Well, after reading some of the old posts regarding light rigs versus AO I think I am getting off course again. I only used AO in that render to help me identify problems with the model's contours as I continue with the modeling and weighting. AO just gives another lighting condition to scrutinise the model under. The increase in render times, using either of those techniques, puts me off a bit but I may try again later.

I just used AO with hair on ,it took a while to render but I had two charectors with hair and I renderd it at 35 m for some stupid reason ,but it looked good ,can't show it as I had some hair in a umm bad place I forgot was on

edit

I just started a 25 frame render with 1 charector ,AO on hair on ,its going at 4.25 mins a frame

• Hash Fellow
I only used AO in that render to help me identify problems with the model's contours as I continue with the modeling and weighting. AO just gives another lighting condition to scrutinise the model under.

OK I thought using AO was a goal for the final render. But why the worry about hair then?

Paul - Your characters are terrific!

the only thing I can't understand is her bikini bottems ,the alpha didn't work as usual it looks like shadow on her bottem

hmmm...this looks familiar - Are you also using the skin shader? I remember noticing similar anomalies with the skin shader when working on Princess Gloria for Scarecrow of Oz -

I can't remember if it was also due to using the skin shader, with a fake rimlight material, or doing multipass rendering, or doing final AA (no multipass).

Try temporarily removing the skin shader to isolate the problem maybe?? And go from there.

Steve, you're a very naughty boy!

I know I know, my wife think's Im nutts

I can't get to them links at the mo for some reason ,had a job getting here ,will try later

edit got it .Looks good must have taken some organizing ,its good to get a glimps of Bristol again ,a while since Iv been there.The Boy done a great job

• 2 weeks later...

Channel 4, here in the UK, is having a 3d week next week and they asked for people to submit content which is less than 15 seconds long. They will be showing a few programs in anaglyph format and I think they just want some fillers between their programmes and adverts. They have distributed free amber/blue glasses to supermarkets around the UK so that everyone has the correct viewing apparatus. We have secured 1 pair for a family of four. Should be fun. :D

I started to experiment but didn't get beyond that stage. Here are three examples.

Red/Cyan glasses required for these anaglyphs:

These seem to work best, (for me), when viewed at about 4 ft from the screen.

post-183-1257980898_thumb.jpg

And here is my favourite anaglyph discovery on YouTube:

(Be sure to select the correct viewing method from the list on the YouTube page).

The depth of field really helps, don't you think?

---------------------

It just occured to me that Hash no longer distribute the red/blue glasses so there is a good chance that no one will be able to view these properly. :(

• Hash Fellow

Fun ideas, Paul.

You can get you tube to show your own 3D stuff in any format by uploading a crosseye version and adding a yt3d:enable=true tag. Then you don't have to worry about if the viewers have the right glasses.

youtube details

• 1 month later...
  • Hash Fellow

That's quite impressive, Paul! In the still it looks like Chinese characters for eyebrows?!?

Is that a prison gang he joined?

I don't get on well with cross-eyed images so I tend to stick to anaglyphs.

The deal with Youtube is that even though you upload a cross-eye version, the end-viewer can switch it to any format, even anaglyph, and Youtube handles the display conversion.

Did you start from scratch with a drawing, Robert's perhaps, or yours,

or do you modify, sculpt an existing mesh?

Thanks, Michel. I started from scratch and used a front and side rotoscope which were cropped from photographs found on the internet.

In the still it looks like Chinese characters for eyebrows?!?

Is that a prison gang he joined?

Ha! I hadn't noticed that. Perhaps the "Triad and Tested Investment Bank". "Protection for Life". "We protect your investments".:D Thanks.

Looking forward to seeing it rigged.

Thanks, Mark. I will need to find some video footage of him talking first, preferably in close up so that I can study his mannerisms.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Myron and Nancy, sorry for the long delay! That model was going to be Beyonce but I haven't worked on it since I posted that WIP back in February.

-------------------------------------

Some old tests of fairy landings:

post-183-1274835938_thumb.jpg

Landing_D06_comp_00_c.mov

LandingStanding.mov

I was searching for some old WIPs of fairies in flight and found these tests for landings, (both unfinished).