Hash, Inc. Forums

Getting Steve's model ready for rigging

steve392

Steve, the first thing I notice is that the "MirrorBones" bone in not at 0 on the X axis. Did you translate the "Root" bone in the X axis by accident? I see duplicate spine bones that were created by the MirrorBone plugin. The black cps are probably because those cps are not mirrored (CFA). The plugin will assign them to the model bone, causing the false weighting. If you have a version saved before running the plugin, I can take a look if you want.

Steve, I looked at your model. There are some modeling issues that you should take care of before you do any rigging. I would recommend deleting the left half of the model, fixing what needs fixing and then do a Copy, Flip, Attach. The clothes and hair doesn't matter, just the body.

The Root bone had also been translated in the X axis, this minor offset is causing the back bones to be duplicated. The back2_geom bone has some Y rotation as well.

Post a new thread in the wip section or in a thread you may have started already and I'll try to help you with it. It not that bad, but a CFA makes it alot easier. The head has the most problem areas, so if you plan on animating the face, your best bet is to fix it. So post some wireframes.

The face has a number of things that need work. The first problem area is the intersections located in the red circles. We'll try to get rid of them by redirecting and adding a few splines. The first thing I would do is add at least one more spline ring around the eye socket.

Image6.jpg

Here's the next thing. I would shift a few spline and redirect some. There is a spline that ends in a hook in the lip, to me serves no purpose, get rid of it. My edit doesn't show it too well, but you want the splines smooth flowing with nice curves to them. The splines going into the lower eyelid want to be equally spaced (roughly), the same goes for the upper eyelid. Once you get this done, there is one more thing. I'm not going to worry about the top of the head and ears, since they are covered by the hair geometry.

shot2.jpg

shot.jpgFor your perusal ,I got the 5 pointer at last ,there was an extra spline in the eye from the cfa I think ,anyway what do you think ,ready to cfa :blink:

I can't find your post on the fingers ,where is it? Allthough I thought the hand on this was working really well in the action when I was doing the wiating

edit got it :rolleyes: howd I miss that,thank's Mark

shot.jpg

I would shift these cps around to reduce the size of that 5 pt patch.

For the most part, it's down to shifting cps around. There are still things that could have better spline layout, but this should animate fine.

Before you CFA, let's see a side view.

shot3.jpg

You can do this at any time. Once you CFA, the geometry will be mirrored, so you can adjust the cps on one side, with mirror mode turned ON, at any time. But you'll want to do it before you retexture and rig the face. (face rig not available yet, so you have time if you plan on installing it)

If you want to get on with installing the 2008 rig, we can do that. Post a wireframe, in bones mode, when you're ready. Assuming you modified the version of the model that had the rig in it, BEFORE you used the MirrorBones plugin.

Ok, there are a few things that need fixing. Some of the bone placements are not in a good position. Since you already ran the "InstallRig" plugin, I need to put the INSTALL bones back in for you. I can't do it right now, I have to go out for a couple of hours. I'll post the model, with the INSTALL bones back in as soon as I can. I'll post some images too.

The issues are the shoulder joint, hip joint, shoulder base, ankle and the neck base. It could work as is, but not great. Also the fans in the leg do not orient correctly, they need all the rotate values to match.

I did a quick MirrorBones plugin to see what happens. There seems to still be issues. It appears the the CFA is not mirroring correctly and it doesn't assign all the cps. I'll look into that more.

Thank's Mark ,I noticed that the calf is not far enough down should have gone to the next spline ,and the end of the thumb is wrong but I think that might be I got the install bone rotation wrong for the thumbnail ,but can't correct it.The cfa left some hook splines wrong so I broke and fixed them ,could that be a problem

Sorry this took so long.

I redid the CFA, to see what was going on. There is a definate problem. It appears that any hooks near the center spline do not miror correctly. I fixed allthe hook problems and tried the MirrorBones plugin and it worked fine.

So now back to the rigging. I put the INSTALL bones back in for the leg, arm and balance. This should be all you need.

First thing, drag the neck base manually to the location in the image, it's too low where it is now.

g_final_half_Mark.zip

neck.jpg

Thank's a lot Mark ,strange about the hooks ,maybe its something to avoid near the edges,prehaps 5 pointers are better in this situation
Warning -- Five pointers have to be re-marked as a 5-point patch after CFA *IF* they are along the center line. It's usually not that big of a deal, though.

Sorry Steve, I got caught up with other things. You didn't post a pic or a reply about finishing the legs, so I wasn't sure if you were still with me. Do you still have a version before you ran the InstallRig plugin? I'll post a pic for the arms if you do.

The InstallRig plugin just deletes the INSTALL bones, hides bone that aren't geometry bones, and unhides the geometry bones. It doesn't do anything special.

Here's your model with the arms fixed, bones mirrored and exported from an action. If you find any problems, let me know.

I'll have to look into the mirrorbones issue in v15, there may be a problem. I also found 2 corrupt constraints in the IK leg setup when I exported your model. I'll be posting a new installer soon with a fix.

g_final_half_Mark_export.zip

I have most of the wiating done now ,thank's .But I got a small problem that I didn't have before I stared wiating and snart skinning ,I have cheked the smart skinn by editing it and can't see any reason for it ,anyway heres the prob I open an action and just the lef leg is not ik(i HAVE THEM ON IN THE MODELS user properties ) so I switch it on in the pose slider menu and the knee turn controler is twisted the wrong way ,I turn it back and all is ok,untill I open a new action .I looked at the knee fan and leg bones in bones mode and theye have the roll handels pointing correctly ,some bones are blue in an action and some are white ,any idea what this is , its not a real big problem as I can just flip it around when I start a new action,but I would like to know how I messed up

first image shows blue bones second a new action without turning on ik to the left leg and third with ik on before turning the knee control . thank's Mark (IF )you have time

blue_bones.jpg

new_action.jpg

ik_on.jpg