Hash, Inc. Forums

AMv13 2008 Rig Installer

mtpeak2

Mark, you are the bomb! I'm going to keep saying/typing it until you believe it too.

I don't think the number of recent downloads is an accurate indicator of interest in your work either. As a community, we need as many people working in their "lab" as possible...that's where the real innovations are born.

You're doing fantastic work, and I'm very appreciative.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm very appreciative too Mark. I can't frequent the forum as much as I'd like these days as I have quite a few distractions going on. The last time I tried installing the rig there were problems with the mirror bones not mirroring some bones and weights. Has this been sorted out now? I'm sure once this rig is used a few times and becomes THE rig to install it will be downloaded in far greater numbers. Please don't give up on it now.

• 2 months later...

yeah and make sure the mirror tool works afterwards.

To cfa (copy/flipp/attach) select the centerspline and first scale the pivot to x=0, then scale the whole spline to x=0, then copy flip attach the right half of the model ( you will have to reselect five pointpatches and reattach hooks near the middle afterwards)

then test the mirrortool on your controlpoints by dragging them around to check if everything worked correctly.

Sorry in case you are allready familiar with that, I just like to point it out again sometimes to whomever it might concern, because

I had so many difficulties with that myself.

• 1 month later...
yeah and make sure the mirror tool works afterwards.

To cfa (copy/flipp/attach) select the centerspline and first scale the pivot to x=0, then scale the whole spline to x=0, then copy flip attach the right half of the model ( you will have to reselect five pointpatches and reattach hooks near the middle afterwards)

then test the mirrortool on your controlpoints by dragging them around to check if everything worked correctly.

Sorry in case you are allready familiar with that, I just like to point it out again sometimes to whomever it might concern, because

I had so many difficulties with that myself.

Firstly a huge thanks to Mark for the 2008 rig, it's got to be the easiest installation by far.

Things I stumbled on but quickly resolved .. totally agree with jakerupert about the cfa. it was better to delete half the model and re-copy/flip/attach than messing with each cp that didn't get captured.

Also the mirrorbones plugin ... I kept losing finger tips, toes and other stuff until I found a thread about it somewhere about the 'Left' versus 'left' (and 'Right'/'right') in the dialogue box that caught me out .. too busy comparing check boxes :-/ , but once corrected the whole lot was a breeze.

Many thanks again for an awesome rig.

• 1 month later...

Mark I got something wrong on this one ,this is in the action window after saving and importing the model with the rig installed .There is something strange with the nees and the foot is gone funny ,got any idea what this is or if I can fix it please Mark

edit .the foot problem was a couple of cp's not asigned,but have no idea about the left leg and nees

grab_M.jpg

I think I have ,I remember that the off buttons were not all off so I turned them off before exporting ,Im thinking maybe its not cfa'd properly maybe,as there was a left pelvis bone ,no other bones were doubled up though so I deleated that and re asigned the cp's.Maybe something els got messed up though.Can I send you the file Mark

edit No damit I don't have a copy before mirror bones only without any bones or install rig or a compleated version

By any chance did you translate the knee joint from the front view during installation? If you did, don't (it doesn't need to be center in the geometry from the front). Only translate the joint from a side view.

I sent you the fixed model. Let me know if everything works ok.

I also suggest to redirect a few splines in the shoulder/chest area, it will eleminate 4 unnecessary hooks on each side.

splines.jpg

• 1 month later...

It works fine in v15e, I have v15f on another computer, so I can't test it at the moment. Robby's thumbs are a bit stiff, but they do work. You can also turn ON the FK controls for the fingers and thumbs to manually rotate them.

I have been working on an update for the rig, which includes updated finger/thumb controls. I'm not sure when I'll have the new update posted.

Well, I got the new finger controls integrated into the installer, still a few things I need to do, if I want to change a few things.

I'm debating whether or not to integrate the BVH setup I was working on or post it as an add-on or if it's worth posting at all.

I'm also debating the face rig I was working on, there wasn't much feedback on the sample model I posted either, my method is a bit unorthodox compared to others.

Not sure why you don't want to use Mark's face rig. It works really well.

But if you want to use muscle based poses, just don't assign any of the face CPs to any of the face bones.

Make a muscle pose for each thing you want to animate.

Then make a new relationship for each face control where the translation or rotation of the control moves one or more of your facial pose sliders.

Aww thanks Mark.

I think I feel less constrained (pun intended) with muscle mode Holmes. I believe I can achieve results faster too....that's faster compared to me doing it with bones.......not say someone like Mark.

At the very least, I wouldn't mind eye/lid/jaw bones included in the rig.

I also took a look at file sizes and noted that the model with the face rig is twice the size of the model with the body rig. I don't know if it's a fair comparison though. But suffice to say, I like small.

If you got the fac rig/the AMtrack and the BVH settup it would be a absolute magical rig .Its allready dam good but that would be terrific Mark.And its definitely not a waiste of time ,More and more ppl are using it .I think it takes a lot of time before ppl change from one rig to another that theye don't know

• 2 months later...

I found a minor issue with installation. It only happens under certain conditions. I think I have it fixed, but I need to test it. I should be posting an update in the next day or so. Unfortunely, I don't have a fix for existing models. The update will also include a couple of new features.

• Admin

Thanks Mark!

Anyone interested in rigging their characters needs to download and walk through this PDF rigging instruction.

There is a lot of great insight into the process to be found in this Step by Step tutorial.

(As Mark mentioned it's in his first post... HERE.)

Great insight into the placement of character bones!

Seems to work pretty well, thumb control is still pretty touchy.

Almost done with rigging my character but have one really stupid question, Do I assign the majority of the cp's on the foot to the foot geom bone?

I don't like the auto assign cp's because it seems to make more work undoing what it assigns to. I find it much much faster just to assign manually.