Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Modeling a Building

jweinrub

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Find a building you like and make a rotoscope of it.

draw out the shape then apply the rotoscope as a decal.

In the AM Libraries . . . in Models, there is a "buildings" folder.

In it are 4-5 sample building models, if you have not seen them.

They are good examples of how to get started with "mechanical" objects, as they are sometimes referred to as.

They are pretty plain, and not many decals there but, good basic structures.

Once you can understand the decal process, it's great to be able to just slap on pictures of say; bricks, wood, tiles... etc... or your own stuff

to create anything you want... onto the structure you have built.

It takes some fore-thought (planing) and will become a real project at first but, well worth the effort once you apply yourself to it.

Gah. I just searched for a previous discussion where I uploaded a bunch of building mattes but I could not find...

Best way is to go to a city(unless you already LIVE in one...) and shoot a lot of digital images of buildings. Preferably, from as straight an angle as possible, but usually you will end up down in the street shooting upward. Take these highly distorted images into Photoshop and use the distortion tools to 're-square' the image back to a rectangle. Now, you have a great image to use as a roto and apply as a decal. Also in Photoshop make a new layer and make a greyscale image that represents depth-differences, slight insets and outsets(darker and lighter greys, with a mid grey as the base.) for the windows and accents. Apply that as a depth matte... make another(with an alpha) for transparency for windows. Applying all these to a simply extruded box (as targas)makes for a nice, low mesh model.

HAVE FUN!

• 1 month later...

Thanks.

Find a building you like and make a rotoscope of it.

draw out the shape then apply the rotoscope as a decal.

In the AM Libraries . . . in Models, there is a "buildings" folder.

In it are 4-5 sample building models, if you have not seen them.

They are good examples of how to get started with "mechanical" objects, as they are sometimes referred to as.

They are pretty plain, and not many decals there but, good basic structures.

Once you can understand the decal process, it's great to be able to just slap on pictures of say; bricks, wood, tiles... etc... or your own stuff

to create anything you want... onto the structure you have built.

It takes some fore-thought (planing) and will become a real project at first but, well worth the effort once you apply yourself to it.

Actually I wanted to add in windows. I managed to complete one side of it. I didn't want to go with the hassle of deleting vertices or splines just to make the windows appear as I extruded them.

J.W.

Gah. I just searched for a previous discussion where I uploaded a bunch of building mattes but I could not find...

Best way is to go to a city(unless you already LIVE in one...) and shoot a lot of digital images of buildings. Preferably, from as straight an angle as possible, but usually you will end up down in the street shooting upward. Take these highly distorted images into Photoshop and use the distortion tools to 're-square' the image back to a rectangle. Now, you have a great image to use as a roto and apply as a decal. Also in Photoshop make a new layer and make a greyscale image that represents depth-differences, slight insets and outsets(darker and lighter greys, with a mid grey as the base.) for the windows and accents. Apply that as a depth matte... make another(with an alpha) for transparency for windows. Applying all these to a simply extruded box (as targas)makes for a nice, low mesh model.

HAVE FUN!