Hash, Inc. Forums

It's getting Hairy

I have hit another deadend and after hours of struggling I am asking help once again.

I have everything done but cannot seem to color my hair.

But yet my face coloring worked!

Here is a screenshot showing the "body front" settings I have.

everything is exactly like my face yet no color anywhere else?

Please give me advice.

screeny.JPG

You may need to save the project, close A:M and reopen it all for the changes to stick.

Ok I tried that this morning and all the hair was gone. but my Hair and Fur material was still there.

So I started over and this time the back of the head hair and the face hair worked.

My computer went to a crawl and the body hair would not take color again although I now had the back of the head hair colored.

I am believing it is too much for my computer. one brush stroke takes me over a minute.

So until my disability case money comes in (which I won) :) At that time I will buy a new more powerful computer.

They owe me 3 years backpay on the case so should not be a problem.

I am saddened though I have came to the end of the TaoA:M and cannot earn my certificate because my computer cannot do all that hair. :blink:

but to show you and everyone I have learned the lesson I am going to put hair on Thom and maybe a couple of characters to an extent my computer can handle.

• Hash Fellow
Ok I tried that this morning and all the hair was gone. but my Hair and Fur material was still there.

If your model (.mdl) has been saved separately from the project .(PRJ) then changes you make to the model won't be saved when you resave the PRJ. You need to save the model also.

that may be what happened.

If your model (.mdl) has been saved separately from the project .(PRJ) then changes you make to the model won't be saved when you resave the PRJ. You need to save the model also.

that may be what happened.

I wont give up but pretty sure it is just bogging my puter down hard. everything works fine till you

add just a bit too much hair then the problems start.

but yes I will try again as you suggest.

for now here is Thom.

hairtest2jpg0.jpg

• Admin
I am believing it is too much for my computer. one brush stroke takes me over a minute.

To maintain sanity you'll want to get into the habit of turning Particles On/Off via the shortcut key while combing (SHIFT + 8).

Comb a little

Turn Particles On and then Off

Comb a little more

(On/Off)

etc.

Adjust to taste

Another thing you can do once you get a really good feel for hair is to decrease your density of hair while combing and then increase it once you've placed it. You might want to do that regardless.

Its been too long since I played with hair so I'll have to refresh my memory.

The principle of 'Less is More' should guide you well.

To maintain sanity you'll want to get into the habit of turning Particles On/Off via the shortcut key while combing (SHIFT + 8).

Comb a little

Turn Particles On and then Off

Comb a little more

(On/Off)

etc.

Adjust to taste

Another thing you can do once you get a really good feel for hair is to decrease your density of hair while combing and then increase it once you've placed it. You might want to do that regardless.

Its been too long since I played with hair so I'll have to refresh my memory.

The principle of 'Less is More' should guide you well.

That is how I been doing it. I just started over and started the coloring at the feet.

a few hairs went brown but I still have all that white fur.

Seems all I can get right is the face, I dunno anymore.

Ok update here:

It is not my material, I took the hairy wookie material from actors and tried using it in my model.

now only the chest hair will color and no face.

I also get a weird error which I will be uploading a screenshot of in a moment.

This is the weird error I am dealing with

screenwookie.JPG

That's not a weird error, there is an entry in the dropdown for not only every hair material, but every emitter in each material.

This actually makes sense, so that you can change the parameters only for that emitter.

The hard thing is to track down which goes to which emitter, and I can't remember how to do that. I think there is a logical order.

Ah - I found my old post on it:

"It is the sequence used in the groups list, so it is a logical sequence, and with each emitter of each material counting, it can get complicated. Unfortunately when you add and subtract hair materials to groups and move them around, sometimes you have to reallocate your decal hair maps."

(from this thread)

Very nice Robert. But... I shant be satisfied until I see him animated. ;)

I actually started this! Yet it was taking a very long time to render.

My question at this point would be when he moves does the hair sway and move too?

This was why I was looking into that Treez plugin.

My idea was to remove the belt and bag because I think he would make a great Bigfoot!

And have him in the woods with maybe shaggy hunting him.

Nothing important but I learn by doing. Thus the more I do, the more I learn.

Right now I have learned treez already! :lol: