Hash, Inc. Forums

TaoA:M - Scarecrow of Oz version

• 2 weeks later...
  • Admin

Good grief I've fallen behind the schedule.

I thought this four day break would be a chance to catch up.

Day four and I'm just now getting settled in and comfortable in front of the computer.

Outlook: Yikes!

Things to do:

- Finish my SO Lighting entry! (deadline is COB today... luckily Japan is ahead a few hours in the forum's future)

Have you posted your entry yet?

- If Excercise 1 is done... time to summarize... note gaps to attend to during the next run-through... get a move on into Exercise 2!

- Get started with Mark's 2008 rig. (If I start now I can make a full transition to the new rig with Exercise 13)

- Do all that other stuff I forgot to do

Focus man... FOCUS!

Oy!

Considering the number of years I've been lurking in & out of the background of this community, it's high time I kicked myself in the rear and actually try to get something done for once. (In other words ... start over from the top one more time :)

Since I'm not involved in the SO project, you'll have to make do with the Scarecrow's alter ego for this exercise, so here's the little scamp himself doing his best "We're Off ..." impression.

Eddie0.jpg

• Admin

Oy is right!

Good grief. Where've you been?

Running the SO version of TaoA:M is the official invitation to get involved no matter what your interest.

There are a lot of characters out there and as long as they can be animated they will work for us here.

I spent a little time with Eddy about a month ago and I must say he animated well.

I was so use to just seeing him used for Lipsyncing that I had completely missed his acting talent. ;)

At any rate... Its great to see you joining in!

• Admin

I haven't completed much work in A:M these past few days but I sure feel like I've been making progress. The little time I did work in A:M everything worked so smoothly I didn't want to stop. Perhaps I'm making progress.

I did manage to rush through a very interesting book "Fundamentals of Play Directing" by Alexander Dean and Lawrence Carra. I think its in its fifth edition or so but the one I was reading is the fourth from 1980.

The story behind my reading this book ...is a long one... but suffice it to say that I checked it out of a Libary a very long time ago. After many days of having misplaced it and recieving threatening letters from the Library staff... I was at a loss to know what to do. I was all set to visit the Library on Monday and plead my case, pay for the book if necessary and slink away in disgrace.

Fortunately I found it yesterday while cleaning the house (it was inside a computer case I had first placed it in hoping to read it on the road so very long ago)! Having very little time to read through it all before taking it back I've spent the majority of the day reading through it and doodling notes. What can I say except... what a wonderful book!

At any rate... if YOUR library has this book... definitely check it out.

Just be careful where you place it and be sure to return it before its overdue.

Here is an image inspired by one of the exercises from the book.

It deals with 'Levels' and how position is used to emphasize characters on a stage.

Of course there is a lot more to like about this book but... it was fun to translate an exercise from this book directly into A:M and see just how smoothly it fit into place.

I've already ordered myself a copy from Amazon.com.

Its that good a book! (and best of all... many of its lessons apply directly to TaoA:M)

position001.png

• Admin
Looks a good book Rodney

Its one of the most accessible I've seen on the subject of theater and analysis of movement on a stage. If only I could wrap my brain around the technical aspects of other books on the subject they'd be just as useful too. So far those books have been useful to me mostly by the page only (some pages are useful... some aren't) but I've never seen a book that approaches directing in this way where every page fits into place and flows so smoothly.

As clear and consise as TaoA:M is there is only so far one can go before exceeding one's personal competency level. After finding books like this its always fun return again to TaoA:M and break through to the next level. :)