Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Make a Face (Cooper)

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hash Fellow

hmmm... remember that stuff I said you shouldn't do with splines on the giraffe? You're still doing it. :o

That's why it's important to get the Giraffe right. I'd say go back to the giraffe again and actually solve the spline problems and then this one won't stump you.

Robcat wrote:

hmmm... remember that stuff I said you shouldn't do with splines on the giraffe? You're still doing it.

That's why it's important to get the Giraffe right. I'd say go back to the giraffe again and actually solve the spline problems and then this one won't stump you.

That bad huh? Glad you didn't see my first one! LOL

• Admin

It should be noted that in Jeff Lew's classic Skylark tutorial he makes some spline continuity mistakes of his own. In his case he offers two solutions: 1) Rework that location 2) Hide that area.

In most cases its won't work to hide errors in spline continuity.

Its the old adage of 'learn how to do it right first... then break the rules'.

For a first or even second attempt your face is looking pretty good!

I know you said "Forget those pictures", but my red pen just could not ignore them :) Sorry :)

post-9673-1223291217_thumb.jpg

The circles show bad splineage.

post-9673-1223291548_thumb.jpg

Where you have 5 lines coming into one point, that is bad in spline language. It is better to create 5 point patches, and use the 5 point patch tool to fill in the patch.

The "spline continuity" picture is using the comma , key. This is a marvellous tool to find out whether your splines are continuous. Click on a spline near the control point, and press the comma key. All cps on that spline will be selected, and show you where your spline is ACTUALLY going, rather than where you THINK it is going.

Then you use the K key to break the splines where they are not correct, and reattach them correctly. Sometimes in reattaching you have to lay down a 'fake' cp, so that you can get the spline to flow in the right direction, then delete the 'fake' cp.

I have circled the one at the bottom left, even though it looks right. Because of that little bit of black, something is probably wrong in that area. The comma key may show discontinued splines, or it may be 'normals' facing the wrong way. Press Shift 1 and you will get normal pointers - you can then check to see that all points are outwards. Then press Shift 1 again to get rid of them. (That's the 1 key NOT on the num pad.)

It all takes time and study, but you're almost there. Then splines become so much easier.

post-9673-1223336406_thumb.jpg

Looks like you need hooks. Those dead end splines with a green circle need to be hooks.

Tech Ref Page: http://www.hash.com/Technical_Reference/CustomHtml/HOOKS.htm

The red circle on the left shows too many splines going into a cp.

Forget the red circle on the right - I thought the spline was not connecting from left to right, but looking at the left side, I think the depth of the cp may be deceptive.

And I just noticed another place where there are too many splines connecting - under the eye, where it comes into the nose.

Better?

facefixed1.jpg

facefixed2.jpg

facefixed3.jpg

the cp on lower left of chin that should have a hook, I fought with and it caused more problems than I started with LOL.

I did not ignore it though.

The cp under eye near nose I tried hooks and 5 point patches and no matter what geometry I tried it just would not work.

I did do some work on the chin and made it a good bit better.

The cheeks from the front look rigid. Try to follow the curve of the face, you did a nice job with that from the side. Great first try though. my first try was pathetic but now I am pretty good at it. I started from scratch and every time I did I got better. Here are two movies to contrast my first face with my most current one.

facepan.mov

yawnfinal.mov

The cheeks from the front look rigid. Try to follow the curve of the face, you did a nice job with that from the side. Great first try though. my first try was pathetic but now I am pretty good at it. I started from scratch and every time I did I got better. Here are two movies to contrast my first face with my most current one.

Thanks!

Thats a big difference between the 2.

second one was a bit dark to see.

Nice mouth though, after the TaoA:M I will need to learn that.

• 3 weeks later...

Almost made it through this one. It took several tries to get the splines and normals facing the right way.

When I got to the end I did the Copy/Flip/Attach. There were gaps on the upper and lower lip. While fixing one of these A:M locked up. Ended up having to do a reboot. After that neither the model nor the project would load. I've sent in a report and the model.

Almost made it through this one. It took several tries to get the splines and normals facing the right way.

When I got to the end I did the Copy/Flip/Attach. There were gaps on the upper and lower lip. While fixing one of these A:M locked up. Ended up having to do a reboot. After that neither the model nor the project would load. I've sent in a report and the model.

I hate that!

I been through that myself so I save alot now.