Hash, Inc. Forums

New Project

finished shot 3_2

Very mysterious.

If you "translate to" constrain that object to the character (to his hips, probably) it will follow him a bit better.

I used IK arms setup and constrained the arms to the dummy. Then I animated the dummy to follow the body.

• Hash Fellow
I used IK arms setup and constrained the arms to the dummy. Then I animated the dummy to follow the body.

I noticed that the character pauses at each step but the object is moving continuously.

You can still translate constrain the object to the character's hips (or torso) even if you have IK hands constrained to the object. Then the object will move like the character is moving.

Just wondering on this one. Should he sleep in his armor? :unsure: If so, should he be under covers? :unsure:

Good point. I was thinking about that as it was rendering so I think I will just have him laying on top of the sheet like he fell asleep on the job. Thanks for pointing that out.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hey Master Funk, I just looked at this last one so I didn't see what lighting you changed. By the way the character is great, I love the detail and movement.

But those hot spots on the ceiling and right wall really flatten out the foreground. Where's the light source supposed to be exactly?

Gerry, I want a sort of warm dimly lit room. I was thinking perhaps torches would be the light sources but I didn't want to deal with sprites cuz they take too long to render. Is there a way I can get better lighting without hotspots? I dont want to us AO because the render is really long.

Thanks

The way it looks to me is that the whole scene is too evenly lit, with the lit fg competing with the lit bg. The way you've got the character stepping into the "pool of light" suggests maybe a spot light in the ceiling, with the light on the floor a little harder-edged (NOT hard-edged, but less soft than it is now). Then the focus will be on the character and his movements. The ceiling light doesn't even need to be very bright, just enough to feature the character.

Another impression is that the shadow on the left wall, if it's significant, should have a little more contrast. It looks like the character is heading toward whatever is throwing that shadow, for some kind of showdown or confrontation. If that's the case, the drama could be enhanced with just a few lighting adjustments.

The way it looks to me is that the whole scene is too evenly lit, with the lit fg competing with the lit bg. The way you've got the character stepping into the "pool of light" suggests maybe a spot light in the ceiling, with the light on the floor a little harder-edged (NOT hard-edged, but less soft than it is now). Then the focus will be on the character and his movements. The ceiling light doesn't even need to be very bright, just enough to feature the character.

Another impression is that the shadow on the left wall, if it's significant, should have a little more contrast. It looks like the character is heading toward whatever is throwing that shadow, for some kind of showdown or confrontation. If that's the case, the drama could be enhanced with just a few lighting adjustments.

Thanks for the advice. I tinkered with the lights and came up with this after 10 attempts. This will add a lot to the piece.

Thanks

post-11452-1231451142_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...