Hash, Inc. Forums

Percied armor tiles ( with nano repair bots )

Master chief

ok i have a sceen where a bullet like projectile hits 2 armor tiles right where they connect , what should happen is that the tiles deform to just allow the bullet through then slowly restore to normal , only problem i have is that it seams to take way to many bones on the part that the bullet plows through and it dosent look very good ,

is there a way to set 1 model segment to automaticaly deform when another "hits" it or do i just have a lot more work ahead of me

Maybe an animated displacement map combined with an animated boolean cutter. If you're not sure what I mean maybe I could set up a quick example tomorrow. I'm just guessing, I haven't worked with displacement maps much, but animating a boolean cutter is pretty easy.

Here's a quickie test with a boolean cutter. I didn't mess with a displacement map but that would definitely enhance the effect.

If this looks like it might be what you're trying to do I'll post the .prj

EDIT: this .mov file appears to hang after the first couple of frames. If it doesn't play properly, try dragging the progress bar to see the effect.

bulletpiercetest_h264.mov

ok thats more to waht i need , how do you do that

You although may have a look at Steffens "Resurface"-Plugin.

It can help, if the mesh is setted in the right way, too.

The second way is a boolean, but it will not actually deform the surfaces but cut them away.

*Fuchur*

Here's the .prj file. You'll see that the Boolean is a second object in the same model as the "plated surface" model. Assign a bone to the piercing object and in the bone properties turn Boolean Cutter to ON.

Now when you move the Boolean cutter to intersect with the wall it will cut out a negative shape in the exact shape of the Boolean object.

Here's some things to keep in mind:

1) It won't show in the chor window. You have to render to final quality. You can always just render a still from the middle of the sequence if you don't want to render the whole scene to check that it's working;

2) The "cut" surface of the wall will be the color of the Boolean object;

3) Both objects have to be completely closed models for this to work, i.e., they have to have top, front and sides and the mesh can't have any open holes or missing patches.

4) The Boolean object will be completely invisible if it's not intersecting another object.

To create the animation I just stuck the projectile in at frame 5, left it there for a second or two, then slowly backed it out.

Good luck with this and keep posting questions.

Bullet_Pierce.zip

ok very usefull , my only question know is can you set it so that a boolean cutter only removes Color A material and leaves Color b , such as the tiles blowing off but the circurty underneeth remaining

You will need a material effector for something like that. You can than create two materials and assign one of them to the material effector. If you now bring the material-effector near a surface, the cut area will get the new material while the rest will have the old material.

*Fuchur*

That's a good question. I did something similar last year, having footprints appear in snow. There are two things you could try. Either give the Boolean a flat nose and only push it through the outer skin without touching the circuitry, or make the circuitry a separate model. the Boolean won't cut through that.

Yeah, a Boolean has to be part of the same model it cuts. It won't cut another model. If this doesn't work for you you may have to figure out another way of accomplishing the effect. A Boolean is just one way.