Hash, Inc. Forums

Keyframing a group

RDE

I have some objects in my choreography. I select them and make them a named group. I try to pivot the group. The group pivots on the screen, but no keyframes are created. I put them in position 1 at point A on the timeline and position 2 at point B on the timeline. There are no keyframes in the timeline. When I preview the choreo there is no rotation. What am I missing?

It's possible you have your Animate mode button (big letter A) off.

but do keyframes get made if you move a single object?

Yes, I have no problem creating keyframes for a single object.

It's possible you have your Animate mode button (big letter A) off.

but do keyframes get made if you move a single object?

Yes, I have no problem creating keyframes for a single object.

Also, the animate button (Big A) is activated. Is it possible to animate a group of objects selected as a named group? I'm running Windows Vista and I tried Open GL and Direct X with same results.

Is it possible to animate a group of objects selected as a named group? I'm running Windows Vista and I tried Open GL and Direct X with same results.

Do you mean as a named folder in the chor? or do you mean animate the cps? (as a named group in the model).

If you mean folder in the chor, I have found that I have to select the individual models in the folder (with ctrl or shift option) and then move, rotate them together as a "group" - But I am using xp pro - so don't know if there is an issue with vista.

Is it possible to animate a group of objects selected as a named group? I'm running Windows Vista and I tried Open GL and Direct X with same results.

Do you mean as a named folder in the chor? or do you mean animate the cps? (as a named group in the model).

If you mean folder in the chor, I have found that I have to select the individual models in the folder (with ctrl or shift option) and then move, rotate them together as a "group" - But I am using xp pro - so don't know if there is an issue with vista.

I am trying to create the nucleus of an atom with protons and electrons. Each proton and electron is an individual model. I put them all together in a cluster. Then I want to rotate the entire cluster together. The next step will be to break off individual alpha particles. (2 protons and 2 neutrons) However, I don't get that far because the problem comes after I create the cluster of neutrons and protons and select the entire cluster in chor mode to create a group and give it a name. I can rotate the entire group with the rotate manipulator, but no keyframes are created. I tried what you suggested of selecting the individual models in the Project Workspace using control button (shift select only worked for a few of them and I have about 50 to select.) However, even though they all seem to be selected in the Project Workspace in the chor window only the last one is shown to be selected. Then when I use the rotate manipulator to rotate it, this does create keyframes for all of them. However, instead of rotating as a cluster, as I need to represent the nucleus, they each spin on their own axis individually. Apparently there is no way to create a named group of models and rotate them as a group. Any suggestions?

It sounds like you need to rig those molecules so that the electrons spin. Then you can animate their rotations in the Choreography, or make Actions, or for combinations of molecules, use Action Objects. Animating everything is the chor may seem easier in the short run but it bypasses most of the animating power of A:M.

It sounds like you need to rig those molecules so that the electrons spin. Then you can animate their rotations in the Choreography, or make Actions, or for combinations of molecules, use Action Objects. Animating everything is the chor may seem easier in the short run but it bypasses most of the animating power of A:M.

I mis-spoke when I said electrons. I am trying to create a nucleus with protons and neutrons. I want to slowly rotate this nucleus and break off clusters of protons/neutrons as alpha particles. Since I can't get the entire nucleus to rotate together, I am thinking of rotating the camera around the nucleus. However, that means I also have to rotate the light in sync with the camera.

Sounds like a cool project. post a mov when you're done.

Martin's right you should rig the groups with bones control the rotation and dispersion. If you assign a different bone for each proton and neutron, and make them children of a main controlling bone, you can then control each of the protons and neutrons individually to animate the alpha particles (alpha particles? too deep for me to understand LOL).

I assume the nucleus has only protons and neutrons? I would put all of the nuclear particles into one model and have each one assigned to separate bones. When you go to animate, you can rotate the root bone and all of the nucleus will rotate as one. As you break off particles, you can translate the separate particle bones (for that matter to can assign an entire alpha to just one child bone)

A crude demo

Sorry bad prj file use this one

alpha.mov

alphadecay.prj

alphadecay.prj

I assume the nucleus has only protons and neutrons? I would put all of the nuclear particles into one model and have each one assigned to separate bones. When you go to animate, you can rotate the root bone and all of the nucleus will rotate as one. As you break off particles, you can translate the separate particle bones (for that matter to can assign an entire alpha to just one child bone)

A crude demo

Sorry bad prj file use this one

Yep my thoughts exactly. I was thinking about another dimension that could be interesting. create separate paths for each particle and translate/orientate them to the root bone. Arrange the paths so the start of the path is on the bone position for each particle. constrain the particles to the corresponding path.

Now you can have the particles breakaway in an exacting path that you control with ease. I think it would work.

Bruce, the demo looks good.

I know this is the wrong place to ask this but....could I please get a copy of your OBAMA model? If you don't want to just tell me so I know you got the message.

OK just played around with this idea while at work with my v.14 A:M. The path idea worked pretty good. Mind you it's not anything like an atom but it shows how you can rotate and break away. I rotated the atom by setting the model bone rotation to euler. I also finally figured out how to do the crossed 3d thing too. I love this program hehe.

Here's a 3D mov

atom2.mov

Here's the project

Atom.prj