Hash, Inc. Forums

What I'm working on...

itsjustme

• 2 weeks later...

I'll have to use a "stay alive" post for this thread again.

I've got one more Squetch Rig tutorial done and now think there are a couple of things that should be updated in the FACE rig. I've made a couple of tweaks already, but I'm going to wait until everything is completely sorted out before I post anything.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to have to limit my computer activities for a little while...lost all of our computers (and most of the house) in the flooding that hit the Austin area on Thursday.

It was very bad...I'll spare you the details.

Once I can get another computer, I'll transfer my licenses and get back to work (I don't know how long that will take, but I'm hoping within a month). I lost about a day's worth of work that is easily fixed once I get back to it, so I'm very happy about that.

I love USB drives (three pen drives held everything)! Once they dried out, everything was fine.

• Admin
I'm going to have to limit my computer activities for a little while...lost all of our computers (and most of the house) in the flooding that hit the Austin area on Thursday.

Ouch. Sorry to hear that David. :(

Hope everyone is okay.

I hope things return to normalcy soon.

Back up the Backup as soon as you possibly can!

It was very bad...I'll spare you the details.

Once I can get another computer, I'll transfer my licenses and get back to work (I don't know how long that will take, but I'm hoping within a month). I lost about a day's worth of work that is easily fixed once I get back to it, so I'm very happy about that.

I love USB drives (three pen drives held everything)! Once they dried out, everything was fine.

ouch... sounds like a nightmare. i hope you´re well insured... good luck with everything! usb sticks are really robust, had one in the washing machine once, still works.

ACK. That's a tough one. Very sorry to hear this.

I hope you can keep your spirits up, and hope you do not despair. May everything get back to normal (& better than normal) as soon as possible. Lucky & grateful you had your thumb drives, and that you (and hopefully everyone in your household) are ok?

ACK. That's a tough one. Very sorry to hear this.

I hope you can keep your spirits up, and hope you do not despair. May everything get back to normal (& better than normal) as soon as possible. Lucky & grateful you had your thumb drives, and that you (and hopefully everyone in your household) are ok?

We're alive...almost didn't make it.

The data was almost all I was able to salvage...pretty much a total loss to the contents of the house.

Thanks for the positive energy everyone.

• 2 months later...

I'm currently using the new family computer I got when we were initially displaced (we still are at this point)...it's underpowered, so I won't be able to do everything I'd like to do. I'll have to wait until I get something more powerful before I can finish the tutorials I was working on, but I'm able to do a few things that I've been telling myself I would get back to.

The first thing I did was make a second pass on the scripts for the Bertram shorts.

The second thing, which I'm still in the process of doing, is remodeling Bertram. The beginning of that is here.

Hopefully, I'll get another laptop in the next couple of months.

• 1 month later...

I figured I needed to post a "stay alive" in this thread...it's been a few weeks since I posted the Bertram modeling update images. I haven't had very much time, but I should be able to get something done this weekend. I've also got the beginnings of another model...hopefully, I'll get it far enough along to start showing some of it as well.

• 3 weeks later...

Unfortunately, I need to use another "stay alive" post...all of my free time has been taken up for the past couple of weeks. There is a chance that I'll be able to get something done in the coming week...if nothing else goes wrong.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yes, it's another dreaded "stay alive" post.

I've been doing some modeling, but, once again, not enough to show anything.

So that this post is not a total waste, I'll mention a program that seems to be a help for me...Alchemy (cross-platform and free). It's great for coming up with designs. Eventually, I'll be able to show something I'm building based on an image I made with it. Hope it helps.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been modeling some things for the image contest, but I definitely won't make the deadline. I had two possible images, ended up deciding the first one needed a lot of work before I could call it finished, decided to work on the second one and have now bumped up against the deadline. I might just save the models for a future contest or something...I hate to waste things. Good luck to all of the participants!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Admin
we are now back in our house.

Glad to hear it David. I had to look back through your posts to fully recall just how long it'd been since the flood.

It must feel good to be back home after all that time.

Hopefully, I'll be able to get some work done on my image contest entry over the next couple of weeks.

I've been procrastinating on my entry... put together the majority of a short video but haven't combined everything into a still image/poster as of yet.

Once I put something down it can be really tough to pick it back up where I left off again.

Finding all the files I was using is a fatal flaw for me... I need to develop better organization and archiving skills.

But no excuses... I expect to be there with you with an entry at the Sci Fi contest deadline! :)

we are now back in our house.

Glad to hear it David. I had to look back through your posts to fully recall just how long it'd been since the flood.

It must feel good to be back home after all that time.

It's been about seven months, so I'm very happy to be back home. I still have a lot of catching up on bills, but I've gotten one problem behind me.

But no excuses... I expect to be there with you with an entry at the Sci Fi contest deadline! :)

I'm not sure if I'll get it to the level I would like, but I should have something to submit.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Admin

I'm in a similar situation... allowed myself to get too distracted.

I plan to submit my entry in whatever condition it is in tomorrow because I know I won't be able to touch it Sunday.

Submitting an entry is actually the most important thing... more important than winning (it's easier to say that when you aren't likely to win!).

It gets us in the habit of splining new projects!

I'm in a similar situation... allowed myself to get too distracted.

I plan to submit my entry in whatever condition it is in tomorrow because I know I won't be able to touch it Sunday.

Submitting an entry is actually the most important thing... more important than winning (it's easier to say that when you aren't likely to win!).

It gets us in the habit of splining new projects!

I'm looking at this competition as a way to improve, so just getting something finished is a win (this is the first competition I've entered on these forums). I don't think I'll win anything, but I've learned a few things that I might not have otherwise. Once the judging is finished, I'll have at least one question to post to the community...I was probably just doing something stupid.

Good luck, Rodney!

• 4 weeks later...

I didn't realize it had been so long since I posted here (I haven't had much free time).

Lately, I've been texturing some of the things in the break room...I got stuck on a logo for the soda/water machine, but I think I'm making progress.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I worked on some lighting on the smoking area a couple of weeks ago starting here: http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=38232&p=399990

I put a version of Bertram in the set and decided I needed to do some tweaking to him before I could adequately evaluate the lighting. I tried several things in order to "toon" Bertram, but ended up just updating his nose and ears (which made me have to re-do his hair)...I didn't like the other changes very much. After that, I started working on his skin...which led me to an exploration of SSS.

In order to get a better handle on SSS, i did some tests using the extinction distances with color values posted by Yves here: http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=25867&p=212206

I have attached the test files and renders in the "SSS_TESTS.zip" in this post. I made my test box extremely small so that I could see the color changes, which also meant that I had to turn up the "Relative density" to get rid of artifacts. The numbers in the name of the renders is the "Relative density" setting.

From these tests, I think I got a skin setting for Bertram that might work (image is attached). I'll post an image of Bertram with the settings applied once I get his hair finished. The SSS settings are "skin1" with some minor tweaks.

SSS_TESTS.zip

Bertram_skin_150_box.png

• *A:M User*

David

I am very interested in these tests as well. One issue I had with SSS was getting another surface with SSS settings too close to the first. It would make "hot spot". For example, a character places a hand on another character's hand. When the two hands would touch a very bright spot would show. Have you encountered this issue, or was it a setting I had that was incorrect?