Hash, Inc. Forums

What I'm working on...

itsjustme

• 4 months later...

I figured I'd better post a "stay alive" post to show that this area isn't dead. I got a little side-tracked fixing the biped rig after finding a problem during an installation and decided that I should finish what I said I would...about a year ago. So, I updated Squetchy Sam's hands and tweaked his arms and shoulders a little so that I could use him in a rig installation tutorial. As soon as I finish tweaking his thumbs, I'll get started on the videos.

I've got a few more things for Bertram's first set, but they aren't in a state that I can show yet...those are coming too (I also have to update the Quad Rig).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Unfortunately, I'm forced to post another "stay alive" post. I'm presently working on some hand rig improvements...lots of testing. They are getting better, but not where I want them to be yet. Once that is worked out, I'll see about adding a little to the face rig.

David looking forward to seeing some more to the st area

Steve

I'm trying to get back to it, Steve. December is my busiest month...I'm just starting to get some time again. I've also got some rig updates working and intend to get the installation tutorials done.

• 3 weeks later...

Just another "stay alive" post. I've been doing a lot of work on the hand rig. I've improved the squetching and the overall workings. I decided to finally separate the controls for curling the fingers to something similar to Mark Skodacek's 2008 Rig...separating them makes a lot more sense. I've reduced the number of Poses because of the design changes and did some combining of a few others and added some fan bones to get a little better look to the bends. Once I get a version of Sam finished, I'll post it for testing.

After the hands are updated, I've got a few additions for the head and face rig that I want to put in. Then, those tutorials can get done...yeah, I'm taking way too much time on this, but I want all of the additions in before I make a comprehensive tutorial.

• 4 weeks later...

I've been bouncing around a little, so I'll have to make another "stay alive" post in this thread...I've been spreading myself a little thin, but things are still getting done.

I spent a couple of evenings worth of time putting together three "Quick Start" tutorials on Expressions that are in this thread. I'm hoping it is the start of a large collection of such tutorials on a number of subjects made by the community...we'll see. I felt that it was time to make the ones I did...I'll make more as time permits.

Still tweaking the rig...which I feel is improving steadily.

• 3 weeks later...

Still tweaking the rig, but I think I'm going to do a little modeling on the second set starting this week (I think I'm going to have a little time for a change). I still have some things to do to the first set, so I'll try to work that in as well. I'm going to try to divide my time while working in A:M to see if I can keep things from grinding to a halt while I get non-Bertram things done as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I'm in the middle of my experiment with working on a little of everything at once.

I've done a little modeling, but I can only show one small part of it at this point...a break room chair. I've got the basic break room set roughed out and a break room table almost finished as well.

I've also put together another tutorial on Expressions covering the "Abs()" and "RGB()" functions which I posted here.

It's not as much as I wanted to get done, but I can at least show some progress. I'll see if I can get enough of the break room finished to post a thread for it and then do some more work on the rig.

break_room_chair_03_24_2011.png

• 2 weeks later...

Just another update for this thread. I made another QuickStart Expression tutorial on making a circular orbit here that was also used to make a propeller rig with throttle for Jake here. The progress on the break room is in this thread.

Now, I'm going to bounce back to the rig for a few days and make another Expression tutorial. It feels better actually seeing things get kicked out. I'll keep bouncing around between things for a while and see what happens.

• 2 weeks later...

Since my last post in this thread, I've made another QuickStart Expression tutorial, this one uses the

"Max(a,b)", "Min(a,b)" and "Round(n, modulo <>0)"

functions (I had to make it code...otherwise I got some smilies in there), here. Once again, there is an included subtitle file. I've also done more work on the Squetch Rig...at the moment I'm updating the thigh fan bone setup, fixing an Expression setup that might break down under some conditions and tweaked the modeling some more on Squetchy Sam.

I have what may turn out to be three more Expression tutorials in the works (I haven't decided how I want to divide things up yet) and I'm going to try to release another temporary "stop-gap" version of the biped Squetch Rig before I start working on the face rig portion of the updates. I'm hoping to start releasing these in a week or two, if things go well. Then, I'll get back to some more modeling on the Break Room set.

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't been able to work on what I had planned for the past couple of weeks...I'm hoping to get back on track next week. I doodled a couple of things (salt and pepper shakers and a door stop) for the break room to clear my head. Not very much, but any forward movement is better than none.

salt_and_pepper_shakers_05_13_2011.png

door_stop_05_13_2011.png

• 2 weeks later...

I decided to change the doorstop to a magnetic one (several reasons for the change) and I modeled the first-aid kit for the break room. Still a lot to do and my self-imposed deadline for getting the sets modeled is fast approaching...I want to texture and light the sets in early July.

I've done some work on the face rig in the Squetch Rig...I'll probably be posting a test version of Squetchy Sam sometime this week, if all goes well.

The first of the two tutorials I'm working on looks like it won't fit the criteria for a "QuickStart" tutorial...I don't think there's any way to make it under five minutes. So, that one will end up being longer than I had initially planned.

door_stop_05_30_2011.png

first_aid_kit_05_30_2011.png

Looks like real movie stuff you're making!

I hope so, Robert. Unfortunately, these are the best I'm able to do...although I'm getting a little better as I go along. I'm shooting for a "cartoon real"...I think I can get that if I put the work in.

• 2 weeks later...

It took a lot longer than I planned, but, I finished a tutorial on making a scalene arm rig....it is posted here.

Now, I'm going to have to concentrate on nothing but modeling for a couple of weeks in an effort to meet my personal deadline on getting the two sets ready for texturing.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Admin

When I think any project ahead of me that requires high production value, quality and detail in computer modeling... you are my inspiration David.

I don't say it often for fear you'll get too use to the praise, but... your work is and remains meticulously impressive.

I'm in awe of all your modelling skills, perseverance, and attention to detail.

Any idea what the render times of a full scene are going to look like? I suppose it would vary greatly depending on the textures.

Sure is a lot of detail, accurate and beautiful. I don't know what kind of story you are working on, but I envision one where there is a heavy narrative, and as the story is being told the camera slowly pans the rooms, showing all of this imagery- making it the 'star'.

Any idea what the render times of a full scene are going to look like? I suppose it would vary greatly depending on the textures.

At the moment, an AO render of each set is about forty-five minutes. Of course, there are no textures or lights, etc, so that number may go up. Also, I'm running a 32bit OS...when I get to rendering, I'll be running a 64bit OS, so that will cut some of the time down. However, the background is only going to be rendered once per angle with anything that is animated being rendered separately and composited onto it...which will cut the overall render time down considerably.

I don't know what kind of story you are working on, but I envision one where there is a heavy narrative, and as the story is being told the camera slowly pans the rooms, showing all of this imagery- making it the 'star'.

You'll be surprised at how much of this detail doesn't show up in the final animations, Matt...at least in the first one. The idea is that these sets will be used multiple times. I'm leaving myself as much latitude as possible so that there aren't limitations on the camera angles I can use. Detail is easier to not show than to add later, I'm thinking. Also, some of these models (mostly the general purpose stuff, is my guess...the "signature" things I'd rather keep for myself) may eventually be released for the community and I have no idea what angle they will be seen from in other productions.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Hash Fellow
I appreciate the encouragement, guys.

Here are the electric sockets I made for this project...one with a circuit breaker and one without.

When did people start putting the ground on top?