Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Fading a decal as a pose slider

flashawd

Hello - I have a decal on an object (tooth) the tooth has a gradient decal image I created applied to it. I created a pose slider that I want to be able to have at 0 with the decal percentage set at 0 and then at 100 have the decal percentage at 100. So it would fade the decal in and out when moving back and forth. What it is doing is making the whole tooth transparent when you slide it to 0 - but it is the "decal" image that I am appying the percentage to - does anyone know what I am doing wrong and what it doing it to the whole tooth and not just the decal? Thanks for any help - Eric

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Ken - here are 2 prints screens - the first on the image is set at 100% and the tooth is fine - then you can see in the second one that the image is set at 0% and the whole tooth is transparent when only the decal should be - I do have it set at color map, so not sure what I am doing wrong. Thanks for your reply.

mockupToothDecalTrans0001.jpg

mockupToothDecalTrans0002.jpg

I have a decal on an object (tooth) the tooth has a gradient decal image I created applied to it. I created a pose slider that I want to be able to have at 0 with the decal percentage set at 0 and then at 100 have the decal percentage at 100. So it would fade the decal in and out when moving back and forth. What it is doing is making the whole tooth transparent when you slide it to 0 - but it is the "decal" image that I am appying the percentage to - does anyone know what I am doing wrong and what it doing it to the whole tooth and not just the decal?

You're not doing anything wrong - I've seen the same phenomenon - not to worry - it's a real-time display issue only (maybe also shaded render problem as well, I forget) - The surface will FINAL render correctly. Try it.

And yeah it's disconcerting.

One solution, if it bothers you - is to 1st apply a decal to the surface that is the color you want the surface to be after making the gradient image transparent. Then add the gradient image to your decal container, or apply a new decal. Then the surface will not go transparent in real-time, or shaded renders.

EDIT - just saw your image - apply a "white" or final color to the tooth - then apply on top of that the gradient image or image that you will be making transparent.