Hash, Inc. Forums

On the right track?

jirard

I have been wanting to start to try animating lately and was looking for some helpful critiques as far as this model and the bone placement is concerned. I have gone through mechadelphias tutorials and tried to find others here on the forum. Are there parts concerning the actual model that will give me problems? If so where and why. If everything is ok as far as the bones go what would be the next course of action. I know that it would be easier to just use the modified 2001 rig (thanks mtpeak) or the squetch rig (thanks itsjustme and all else involved) but I want to have a better understanding of the rigging process before I try them. Anyways here is the model. Thanks

simple.mdl

Are there parts concerning the actual model that will give me problems? If so where and why.

Very nice model, Jirard!

The places I think you might run into problems are the fingers, the wrists, the biceps, the shoulder and the ankles. The reason is that if you don't have three spline rings per joint, it will be difficult to get a good looking bend because there wouldn't be enough geometry to maintain volume. You could use Smartskin to correct most of the problems, but I think it wouldn't cure everything and be more trouble than just adding the extra splines and using CP Weighting. The face will probably work, another ring around the mouth might end up being necessary though.

Hope that helps.

As far as the fingers go I put arrows to the area where I will add more rings. Is this right?

fingers.JPG

Yes, but every joint in the fingers as well. I have a work-in-progress here...I've done some more tweaking since that post, but it will illustrate what I mean (there is also a Quicktime video of a test showing the fingers moving).

Hope that helps, Jirard.

I took a look at the latest posted character, Jirard...I must have been looking at it wrong. Mark saw what I missed, the shoulder is strange. Here's a comparison image of the shoulder on Squetchy Sam and your character. I was thinking that the area you have as the shoulder was the upper arm...I'm thinking it would be better greatly reduced, with the shoulder bone starting inside the torso.

Hope that helps.

shoulder_size_comparison.png

Ahhhh OK I see what you guys are talking about. That area was kinda modeled poorly in the first place. The muscles are misplaced and the shoulder mass is too long plus I didnt put a shoulder bone where it needs to be. I will fix it tomorrow night and repost.

First off thank you guys for responding. I changed the shoulder area and moved the shoulder bone to where (I think) it should be. I checked out Bertams hands and I think I will just build a new hand based on that tutorial. Let me know what you guys think.

simple2.mdl

Thanks

I found and modified a hand that follows your tutorial pretty closely (Thanks Colin) Will they work? If so I will use the feet next and move on to rigging unless you guys see other areas that need fixin. Oh and Mtpeak I do appreciate the work your doin on the 2001\8 rig I just dont know anything about this stuff. If you ever need a character modeled and think I could handle it I wouldnt mind doin to show my appreciation. The same goes for you Itsjustme.