Hash, Inc. Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gerry

Library question

I have the annual download version of v15 on both my work PC and my home Mac. But the PC version has the full library, with all the geometric solids, primitives, etc. but the Mac version has only a brief version with six character models (and items in other categories, I mainly mention the models library just as an example).

I also wanted to add materials (or other items) to the library, or start my own I guess, but looking around in the app folder I can't seem to locate either the existing libraries or a place to put additions. The Library item in the Data folder is only 4kb so I know that ain't it!

While poking around in there I also became curious about the existence of the dictionary. What function does it serve?

I have the annual download version of v15 on both my work PC and my home Mac. But the PC version has the full library, with all the geometric solids, primitives, etc. but the Mac version has only a brief version with six character models (and items in other categories, I mainly mention the models library just as an example).

I also wanted to add materials (or other items) to the library, or start my own I guess, but looking around in the app folder I can't seem to locate either the existing libraries or a place to put additions. The Library item in the Data folder is only 4kb so I know that ain't it!

While poking around in there I also became curious about the existence of the dictionary. What function does it serve?

I could be wrong but I believe the dictionary is for the dopesheet.

George

That's a feature I'm unfamiliar with. I should probably look into it.

Gerry,

I'm very into the AM Library, my resource pool is almost a gig in size. What I do is sort my models, materials, images, chors, etc into folders then run a utility called Library Manager written by Glenn Anthofer (I worked with him on the design). This places the folder structure and files into a lib file and therefore it appears in the AM library*. It is incredibly flexible and can be automated to keep the lib file up to date. However, looking at your profile I saw 'Mac' and I have no idea if it will work on a Mac. I also do not know if it will work with V15 (I'm staying on V14 until my current project is completed).

If you wish to try it, search for 'library manager' or 'libmgr' on the forum -- I believe it is still posted on my site (I'm on my laptop and not at home and can't check from here). If you can't find it send me a PM... er... I guess PMs are gone... so, post to this thread and I'll get the info to you.

Yes the Dictionary is part of AM's lip sync.

* You have to tell AM where your library files are located. If you keep them located in the AM program... well, on occasion you may need to completely uninstall AM (delete all files and clean the registry {not on a Mac I guess}) and re-install it and whop! You can delete you library file(s) which can be a disaster to some folks.

Cheers,

Rusty

Thanks Rusty, that's a big help! I still need to find out about the library on the Mac. As I said, the PC version has the full Hash library installed, but for some reason I don't have the same resources available on the Mac version.

If the libraries are stored outside the app folder it's probably that the libraries were installed by previous versions and the new version just knows where to look. My Mac is brand new and doesn't have any previous versions installed, so (I'm thinking) no libs.

If you wish to try it, search for 'library manager' or 'libmgr' on the forum -- I believe it is still posted on my site (I'm on my laptop and not at home and can't check from here). If you can't find it send me a PM... er... I guess PMs are gone... so, post to this thread and I'll get the info to you.

Hi Rusty,

The version of library manager I found was something like Beta 0.39. Is this the one you were referring to or is there a non-beta version I should use?

Many thanks,

Bruce