Hash, Inc. Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gerry

Adobe Soundbooth

I got Adobe Soundbooth with the CS3 suite and I've been learning some about it with online tutorials and help files. Apparently the one thing it can't do is handle multiple tracks. Has anyone here had any experience with it? Am I correct about no multiple tracks or am I overlooking something?

I got Adobe Soundbooth with the CS3 suite and I've been learning some about it with online tutorials and help files. Apparently the one thing it can't do is handle multiple tracks. Has anyone here had any experience with it? Am I correct about no multiple tracks or am I overlooking something?

Gerry, there's a beta of Soundbooth CS4 on the Adobe Labs site. As a CS3 owner, you can use it until the real CS4 comes out. It has added multitrack support.

Thanks, that's a great tip. I can't believe Adobe released an audio mixer without multitrack.

I don't have it in my CS3 package. Is there anything that makes it more useful than GarageBand?

Ha! that's an excellent question. GarageBand is way more useful than Soundbooth from what I've seen. GB is more flexible, can do more things and appears to have more options for input. SB comes with a ton of royalty-free loops but the way the app assembles them into a soundtrack is a little too "automated" to be useful. It appears that SB can mainly load a soundtrack and put it under a voiceover, then beyond that you can run filters, alter pitch and length, and clean up noise, but that appears to be about it. For example I couldn't figure out how to move the voiceover track so it begins at a different time than the music.

I should also qualify these comments by saying I haven't actually created anything with either of them, this is just from looking over their feature sets and watching some tutes.

There are many other cool music-software-packages. Samplitude, Soundforge (I dont like it much so) / Acid, Nuendo and some more.

In the end, for most things even Music Maker from Magix can do many Tricks (automatic creation of music is one, but not that well than for example Cinescore).

If you need automation you can although try Cinescore from Sony (the creators of Vegas).

*Fuchur*

I've used Audacity, a free, cross-platform multitrack sound mixer that I've been very happy with in the past. So last night I downloaded the current version. It works fine and I recommend it.

I've used GarageBand for a few things. I've used it for creating DVDs of the RiffTrax movies (the guys from MST3K sell audio "riffs" that sync up to movies.) What made it cool for that was that it did "ducking." That would automatically lower the volume of the movie when the guys were talking and then raise it back up when they went quiet.

I'll be using it for putting together the soundtrack of my movie... but that's mostly because it was already on my computer and I kinda/sorta have figured out how to use it. :-)

I upgraded to the CS4 Production Suite and I'm happy to report that Adobe Soundbooth CS4 is a full featured multitrack sound editor as opposed to CS3 which was essentially a SE4M (Sound Editing For Morons) app. Much improved.

one, i don't like audacity, and I use GB on my mac and music maker on my windows. as for music maker and it's creation of musi, it's quite good if you have talent in that area which i do not, but the other person working on Earth Link Zero has made some cool tunes 100% from scratch in music maker, and he doesn't have a keyboard either i do believe