Hash, Inc. Forums

Particles being grinded off teeth

flashawd

Hi - I have a dentist client that wants an animation of the process of Veneers being put on. I need to illustrate a dental drill shaving down the tooth a bit. I am guessing a "blobbies" particle material or something? I would love any suggestions or samples of something someone might have done similiar to the effect I am trying to achieve. I have delt w/ smoke and fire before, but not w/ blobbies.

Thanks for any help, ;)

Eric

Hi Eric,

Did the dentist specifically ask to see the shavings flying off the tooth and the tooth preparation process? I wonder if it might be less intimidating/frightening for the patient if you showed a model of the tooth before preparation, then just fade the picture into the finally prepared tooth. The patient shouldn't have to see the drill to know how the reduction gets done. This would make your job easier and might be more effective at selling the procedure anyway. You could then just animate the veneer being fit to place and end on a perfectly modelled tooth/arch.

Mark

Hi - good point about the shavings flying off the tooth, but he did mention he wanted the animation to show that. Sean - thanks for the .mov - I think your idea w/ the dust would work better, unless the blobbies could be made very small and fall straight down? I'll have to play around w/ both.

Thanks again,

Eric