Hash, Inc. Forums

WIP... she is a beautiful Thai moview star.

I did not realise you had started on it until I clicked the picture and it resized big. That's a HUGE number of splines, especially coming out of the bottom left of the nostril. Still, I guess it's easier to take them out than put them in :)

She's got a very interesting asymmetry - she looks like Sandra Bullock on her left.

I did not realise you had started on it until I clicked the picture and it resized big. That's a HUGE number of splines, especially coming out of the bottom left of the nostril. Still, I guess it's easier to take them out than put them in :)

She's got a very interesting asymmetry - she looks like Sandra Bullock on her left.

You will never need that many spline... that is enough if you would do a polymodelling ;)

You have to consider that you will have to position each cp on all 3 axis in a very smooth way to get a smooth surface... so I would recomment to use much less splines!

*Fuchur*

Hehehehe!!!! :D I thought I was working with poly model. I think I might have to star with less splines and will keep posting the update. I might have some problem with her sideview if I imagine her picture incorect but will try to see

"how artistically inclined I am?"

CHEERS!

Let me be the first one to say it: If you don't find a side view of her face, your efforts will be futile. Even with a side view it is very difficult to model a face and have it look like the actual person you are modeling. Take this with a grain of salt and please, prove me wrong, but I am usually a bit more in your face all with good intentions. Oh, and by the way, this is just my personal experience ;)

-E

Let me be the first one to say it: If you don't find a side view of her face, your efforts will be futile. Even with a side view it is very difficult to model a face and have it look like the actual person you are modeling. Take this with a grain of salt and please, prove me wrong, but I am usually a bit more in your face all with good intentions. Oh, and by the way, this is just my personal experience ;)

-E

YEP! I totally agree... I just would like to see how best the spline modelling can handle a realistic model. For certain areas, they might need more splines than that they need to in order to have more contolr and to get more realistic shape and contour close to the model as much as possible. I will keep updating my progress on this. :P

CHEERS!

I just would like to see how best the spline modelling can handle a realistic model. For certain areas, they might need more splines than that they need to in order to have more contolr and to get more realistic shape and contour close to the model as much as possible. I will keep updating my progress on this. :P

CHEERS!

Even if you need more splines in certain areas for animation or contour detail you still have too many. AM doesn't need that many splines even for "close up" detail or animation. It will just drive you insane trying to keep everything smooth. More splines are really only needed around the eyes and mouth where most of the animation takes place. The mouth area might include some of the bottom of the nose. It doesn't take as many splines as you might think for realistic facial expressions. It DEFINITELY takes much less density than with polygons. If you are use to working with polygons, forget about them completely. AM is totally and completely different.

-vern

Even if you need more splines in certain areas for animation or contour detail you still have too many. AM doesn't need that many splines even for "close up" detail or animation. It will just drive you insane trying to keep everything smooth. More splines are really only needed around the eyes and mouth where most of the animation takes place. The mouth area might include some of the bottom of the nose. It doesn't take as many splines as you might think for realistic facial expressions. It DEFINITELY takes much less density than with polygons. If you are use to working with polygons, forget about them completely. AM is totally and completely different.

-vern

YEP! I am starting it all over to reduce those splines and add more as I need it. Will keep posting the progress.

CHEERS!

Excellent re-start!

Did you ever locate a good side view or even semi-side view of her face?

Thank you! YEP! I did find one of her semi-side view which is good enough to give me an idea of her nose contour, does not match perfectly but still better than none.

CHEERS!

post-12016-1217882780_thumb.jpg

What kind of experience do you have? Your work is not that of a noob.

I used to do lots of sculpting and drawing portrait as my hobby when I was in Thailand, but not often now. This is not my job, but it is what I enjoy working on during my free time. Thank you for your comment.

CHEERS!

Here is my WIP update... there are still some areas need to be tuned. Just one quick question.

How can I render with lines so I can see at which CPs exactly to be tuned?

CHEERS!

Still quite many Splines... but you handled them well. :)

*Fuchur*

Here is my WIP update... there are still some areas need to be tuned. Just one quick question.

How can I render with lines so I can see at which CPs exactly to be tuned?

CHEERS!

Still quite many Splines... but you handled them well. :)

*Fuchur*

YES! Still too many splines, and I am still planning to reduce to about 60% which I think the best I can do to keep her face contour and shape... Thank you for comment.

CHEERS!

That's looking really good.

Thank you, Caroline. I will leave her texture the last and will work on reducing her splines to 60%, and I will work on the rest of her head. I have been reading your rig thread and that will help me a lot to rig her face. Thank you for your comment. Will keep update.

CHEERS!

How many models have you done with Animation Master? I am truely impressed with what you are doing with this model. Your sculpting experience is really paying off. You can render with wires in the advanced render options. Instead of "final", choose "shaded/wireframe."

Thank you! I need to see those splines in the render so I can see which splines can be removed without affecting the contour and the shape of her face too much. Also, I can see which CPs to fine tune. This is my second spline model which I have work with AM. The first one is just something simple for me to learn how splines and CPs work together. Thank you for your comment.

CHEERS!

she is beautiful! the model you made looks pretty good too.... but it is still too many splines for what the model is.

Might be a pain if you plan to animate.

Mike Fitz

www.3dartz.com

YESSSSS!!!! She is beautiful... ;) I am still planning to reduce her splines to 60% which I think it can be done... Her face contour and shape will be lost If I have to reduce more than that... but will try my best... I will rig her face by following Caroline's rig thread... I learn a lot by just reading her rig thread... thank you again for all comments. Will keep update to the final...

CHEERS!

I'd recommend you make a sphere the size of the eyeball as a guide. Then conform the eyelid to the curvature of the eyeball. Notice that the outer corners of the eyelids pull into the eye socket a bit more, especially on the upper side where the flesh from the crease up to the brow overhangs. The tear duct lets the inner corner pull out farther from the eyeball. That you can do by pulling in the splines closer to the curvature of the eyeball on the outer corner. That might fix most of the problem.

BTW, this is some nice splinage!

ThaiEye.jpg

I'd recommend you make a sphere the size of the eyeball as a guide. Then conform the eyelid to the curvature of the eyeball. Notice that the outer corners of the eyelids pull into the eye socket a bit more, especially on the upper side where the flesh from the crease up to the brow overhangs. The tear duct lets the inner corner pull out farther from the eyeball. That you can do by pulling in the splines closer to the curvature of the eyeball on the outer corner. That might fix most of the problem.

BTW, this is some nice splinage!

I will try as you have recommended to see if that helps, and I might have to check the model again to see if the contour around her eye is in the shape that I thought it was. Thank you for your commend and your help.

When you get to the point of making ears you may find this helpful:

Ear Mesh

You might find the whole thread interesting.

If you want ready made ears, even just as examples you can use these:

Free Ears

I have not gone that far yet, almost got her teeth done. I start little bit here and there to get a rough spline layout and to group them, since I now have learned that "Never start modelling without planning your splines layout". That ear and that thread will be really helpful. To me, ear is the hardest to model, especially with spline. You made a really nice ear model. Will keep update my progress.

Would you mind if I will use it to attatch to her face?

CHEERS!

the loops that go from her nose, across the cheek bones, around the eyes and then across the forhead can be reduced.

the model still looks great!

Ahhhh!!! Thank you for your help... I am looking into it and notice that the spline loop causing the nose looks like a dent to me.

CHEERS!

post-12016-1218687774_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well!!! This is not good as I want, but this is the final version with a test decal. I will have to turn this into a long-term WIP, because there are lots of things I would like to improve with this model. The model has lost some details in certain area which are not what I would like to see, but I have tried my best to get as close as possible. I will have to say that I have learned alot from this WIP when it comes to modeling from a realistic photo, and there is no doubt that AM does handle it pretty well for me. This is still a everyday learning process for me which I am really enjoy. Comments and suggestions will be really apprecisted. There is one question though,

How can I make the image after the decal look brighter or lighter, because it looks too dark to me?

CHEERS!

post-12016-1219769648_thumb.jpg

Can we see a 3/4 profile render? You did not make any eyes, did you? It looks like you applied the decal on top of the model in the same position of the rotoscope. What does it look like without the rotoscope?

No, I have not yet make her eyes. What you see is just from the rotoscope from the background. I still might have to move those splines around in the area of her cheek bone in order for me to control the contour and shape.

CHEERS!

post-12016-1219813281_thumb.jpg

post-12016-1219813313_thumb.jpg