Hash, Inc. Forums

Best way to rig a tentacled monster with TSM?

Joe Gamblin

So I'm working on another alien design and I could use some advice from folks that have more experience with TSM.

Here's the character. He's a trilateral design so ,kinda like a starfish, you could divide him into three equal sections. So there's three arms, three legs and all of them are tentacles. What would be the best way to rig all those limbs? All of them as tails? Arms? And, for example, would it be best to have a left arm and back arm and after flipping have three or just make three and skip the flipping? Before I start testing I thought I should ask the experts. Thanks in advance for any and all help.

post-7177-1217616073_thumb.jpg

• Hash Fellow

Some of this will depend on what those tentacles have to do and how they are splined. post a wireframe.

You probably want some IK ability for tentacles that have to act like legs.

I'm thinking a tentacle shouldn't move like an arm that has two major bones and one hinge in the middle. But your splining could hide that if it's done right.

A tail or maybe a "digit" sound are alternate possibilities.

GREAT character!

I would definately look in to using TSM's tail rigger, and if that does not 'go' have a look at the old 'Bendy Legs' tutorial...if it's still out there...

I've got "bendy legs" on the hard drive, and was going to give it a shot if I couldn't get the TSM rig to come out well.