Hash, Inc. Forums

Shoulder Rig Suggestions

SplineSoup

Thanks everyone for your rigging and modeling advice in the past! I've now come to the fun part of rigging and skinning a character: shoulders. I have a character wearing a t-shirt and am looking for the best way to deal with arm roll deformations (i.e. how to make the shirt *not* roll when the arm does). So far, I've culled ideas from a few different sources and have implemented fan bones and smart skins to good effect for basic up/down front/back movements. Naturally, all this goes out the window when his arm bone rolls...and it does.

What are some approaches to this problem that have generally worked in the past? I've considered adding a separate bone for the shirt sleeves and setting a constraint that will orient it like the bicep without roll but would like to defer to those more experienced in this realm (and likely more successfully) before I start slinging bones around. The current skinned version "Mr. Torso" is attached for your amusement. Irrelevant geometry is excluded.

Thanks,

Chris

Bob_Torso.mdl.zip

I've considered adding a separate bone for the shirt sleeves and setting a constraint that will orient it like the bicep without roll but would like to defer to those more experienced in this realm (and likely more successfully) before I start slinging bones around.

I haven't looked at your model yet, Chris, but, that's sort of how the Squetch Rig deals with it...the bones are the same as the arm, but have percentage Poses to roll like and scale like the bicep.

I updated the left side of the model. I deleted the fans that you had except for the left bicep fan (got rig of 1, 2, 3 and 4). moved the bicep bone so it was more centered within the geometry and adjusted the fan position. I then duplicated the bicep fan 2 more times. Then set store roll to ON in the bicep fan constraint and assigned the cps to the shoulder joint to it. I added an orient like constraint to both of the new bones, one at 50% enforcement and one at 100% enforcement, with store roll OFF, to the left bicep. Assigned these to the sleeve geometry. Deleted the smartskin on the left bicep and forearm and adjusted the weighting in the shoulder area.

Bob_Torso_Mark.zip

I updated the left side of the model. I deleted the fans that you had except for the left bicep fan (got rig of 1, 2, 3 and 4). moved the bicep bone so it was more centered within the geometry and adjusted the fan position. I then duplicated the bicep fan 2 more times. Then set store roll to ON in the bicep fan constraint and assigned the cps to the shoulder joint to it. I added an orient like constraint to both of the new bones, one at 50% enforcement and one at 100% enforcement, with store roll OFF, to the left bicep. Assigned these to the sleeve geometry. Deleted the smartskin on the left bicep and forearm and adjusted the weighting in the shoulder area.

Mark,

Thank you very much for your instructional edits! The arm/shirt relationship is now much more manageable with the modified shoulder rig...I'm also impressed that you navigated the rather intricate relationship tree to put your constraints on the Basic Setup relationship. This is certainly a good basis for continuing the skinning and has left me very optimistic about the remainder of this character's setup. I hope this helps some other riggers out there too.

I'm definitely looking forward to the grand implementation of the final squetch rig!

'Preciate it

Chris