Hash, Inc. Forums

Hair System - Hair Emitter

flashawd

Hi - I am practicing w/ hair and was trying duplicating the orange hair sample at the bottom of this page

http://www.hash.com/Technical_Reference/v110/Hair.htm

I get everything, but the issue that I am having now and awhile back is the hair is not taking it's color from the underlying surface's color (CellTurb conbiner) it is white. Is there some setting on am not doing?

Thanks for any help. ;)

Hi Robert - thanks for your reply - no there isn't any color specified. I set it up exactly like the "tutorial" on the link I posted above. The only thing is the hair emitter with the question mark next to it has a "+" next to it, and mine doesn't is there something there that is telling it to us the underlying "cell turbulence" color? It isn't using that for some reason - and the hairs are white. Any other ideas I might be doing wrong. Thanks again.

I created a print screen - you can see the CellTurb is a mix of the two browns which is showing on the sphere, but the hair is still white - it is not picking up the color of the underlying CellTurb?

hairSystemMockup0001.jpg

Thank you, this is really frustrating - been on it for hours. ;)

• Hash Fellow

I tried a quick test in V13 also and was able to get hair color on a gradient

haircombiner.zip

Just to eliminate the obvious... you are trying a Final render, right? real-time won't show complex hair color. That screen cap looks like a real time render.

work around

apply material to model/group

bake it

use the color diffuse decal to control hair color ..will try to do tutorial when time allows

or use any decal change from color to other add property diffuse color apply hair same results

hairball0.jpg

I created a print screen - you can see the CellTurb is a mix of the two browns which is showing on the sphere, but the hair is still white - it is not picking up the color of the underlying CellTurb?

Thank you, this is really frustrating - been on it for hours. ;)

I don't use materials to color hair - I only use decals - it works very well in 15 (and in 13, 14)

However - I wonder: Did you try to do a final render? An onscreen render (using render lock) will not color the hair properly and that includes even when using decals (shows up white, or the color of the emitter). You must do a final render to file to see how it would really look.

No reason not to go with decal to color hair.