Hash, Inc. Forums

Landspeeder WIP

Here is my attempt at a landspeeder. I had a really difficult time modeling. I still was not able to make it w/o creasing. I did not (and still do not) know how to make the cockpit area without having major creases. For this model it is fine because it is only going to be seen at a distance and for only a short time. I am still learning how to model without creases...I guess it comes with practice....And the usual any comments would be welcome on the model. :-)post-7934-1216515032_thumb.jpg

• Hash Fellow

See all the spots where you have 5 lines going into 1 CP? That's always bad. It's never good.

YOu almost always want just 2 splines to criss cross at a CP (like at the two green arrows. looks like 4 lines going in)

Purple is where I'd get rid of splines and green is where I'd put them instead. ( i just did the front as an example)

speederfix.jpg

Nice start! How did you do the ground?

The ground is just a NASA animation of the Victoria Crater on Mars.

The whole exercise was a testing ground for the various camera tracking programs available. SynthEyes won.

The shadow was done by arbitrarily creating a mesh using features exported from SynthEyes to A:M. This was set to receive shadows, but not render. Some of the troughs were deliberately exaggerated to enhance the floaty feeling, and I guessed at the sun's position.

I can only find early versions of the project, now - which leads me to believe I did it from a memory stick or similar (it was over a year ago). I'll find it and post a wireframe of the finished speeder. In the meantime, here's the latest version I have at home. Note that the finished version had the engine components (basically a bunch of pipes) visible under the missing cowl, and the engine housings were the right colour.

speeder_render.jpg

speeder_wf.jpg

I may do the Columbia Crater next - and perhaps document the process so I can refer back to it next year... ;)

Hey CW, don't sell yourself short. Like anything, modelling takes practice. The more you model, the easier it will become and you will find little tricks and workflows to make things better.

One thing that will really help in modelling will be good references (e.g. blueprints, photos, etc.). Largento has been posting some great comic book style tutorials that may help as well. Robcat's tips on your splines are very good indeed.

One of the neat things about modelling, is that you don't have to model the item as one whole object. Looking at your wire frame, you might be able to model the body with fewer splines. You could then leave just a hole in the body where the cockpit will go and model a separate cockpit. This may help with some of the creasing. It would also make it easier to model just half of the body, for instance the left side, then copy, flip and attach it to give you the whole body. That way you really only have to worry about getting the splines perfect on one side instead of trying to make both sides match.

When you get the hang of working with splines, they can be extremely powerful in modelling. Just takes practice. And it looks like you have got a really good start on working with them.

Keep up the good work...

Al

Yes, mechanical or organic modeling takes LOTS of practice. You will gain techniques as you work and your work will improve.

I suggest picking up small random objects around the house and trying to model them if you wish to improve your mechanical modeling. One reason I suggest small objects you have laying about is that you will have excellent reference as you have the object in front of you and can see every detail.

Items to model: floppy disk (3½"), pen (ball point or Sharpie marker), paper clip (don't laugh, not as easy as it sounds), the mouse you use on your PC, etc.

Seems like silly exercises until you see the improvement in your models.

Hope that helps. Happy splining!

Its great! Puts mine to shame....lol

Thanks for the compliment, but what Al & Jody said is right. You've obviously got the ability to do it well, but you appear to be trying to do it all in one. You need to make the components separately, and then put them together. The glass, seats, console, steering wheel, upright wing and engines are all separate shapes, which just overlap on the model at points which (mostly) won't be visible. The colour comes from sampling a JPEG of the actual landspeeder used in the film, the image I used as a stencil rotoscope provided the basis of the decal.

See all the spots where you have 5 lines going into 1 CP? That's always bad. It's never good.

YOu almost always want just 2 splines to criss cross at a CP (like at the two green arrows. looks like 4 lines going in)

Purple is where I'd get rid of splines and green is where I'd put them instead. ( i just did the front as an example)

I think this is good advice!

CW's Speeder looks Real Good! I just thing you're a couple touch ups away!

Just keep on keeping on!