Hash, Inc. Forums

BIG PROBLEM WITH ROTOSCOPE

Hisako 100112

does any body else use open GL as the graphics card with A:M? if so does your rotoscope work? in another forum i was told to use Direct X, but the version i had was old so i was told to update it to a newer version. i did, and when i went into A:M options and choose direct X; it gave me an error message. I still can't use my rotoscope which is VERY limiting to me. does anybody have any other suggestions?

(the direct X i downloaded was Microsoft Direct X SDK March 2008)

thank u

Hisako :(

Hisako, try and uninstall and reinstall your video card driver see if it works. I experienced similar problems in the past before where everytime I updated my windows A:M rotoscope suddenly won't work and I could bring it back by uninstalling and reinstalling my video card driver. If that still doesn't work try to check if you have the latest driver form the video card's company website, download tyhe latest one. Sometimes they list their oldest drivers to the latyest drivers, if the latest driver stilll doesn't work, try them all, see which one works. If that still doesn't work try ANY version of the driver of the video card, in most cases videocards have the same chipset but different companies just stamp their name on it, and use their own version of the drivers and software, it's worth a try intstalling it to see it works.

Also do you have a built in video adapter in your motherboard? Have you tried using that and see if A:M rotoscope is available? If anything doesn't work, your last option is to buy another video card.

I know this is not exactly a solution that you wanted to hear but having no rotoscope capability like you said is very limiting. I'd rather buy a new cheap videocard than not having that limitation. Good luck.

i have downloaded the latest direct X (from March 2008 called Direct X SDK). it was from microsoft's website i figured it'd be an official production so i downloaded it, but every time i switch my graphics card in A:M to Direct X the screen either comes back black or it says 'ERROR!' and then a little window comes and says : Error. Change your graphics card to another driver (it says something like that i think, not sure of the exact wording)

I have A:M 2006. I am currently using Open GL as my graphics card. when i load my rotoscope image, i right click on model in the Project workspace window, and choose New > Rotoscope. I've tried using all types of images PNGs, JPGs, JPEGs, Targas etc. none of them work. a big white rectangle just appears on the screen where the image is supposed to be.

i hope it's not my particular copy of A:M, because sometimes my program comes back and tells me about all of these 'unknown exceptions' and then it closes out. but i'm hoping it's just the video card.

PS- where would i find settings for my video cards, would that be in the control panel?

• Hash Fellow

I don't know that Direct X will solve your problem but "SDK" stands for "Software Developer Kit" which is not something you want to update your PC. That is only for people who are writing new apps that use Direct X

Thei current version of Direct X is 9.0c and you want the "End User Runtime" from this page

If you're getting a white rectangle that typically means your video card hasn't enough memory to hold the rotoscope image. Try a very, very small one just to test. What sort of video card do you have?

Also you might try turning off all video acceleration in the control panel for your video card. Or try altering other available settings.

i'm not sure which one of these things in the control panel my video card would be under so here's a picture of my entire control panel.

which category is it under?

if that doesn't work, i'll just hold my pictures up the my monitor and trace them into A:M that way (it worked for one :D )

post-11833-1216860889_thumb.png

• Hash Fellow

First, I"m not saying this is a guaranteed fix. These are things to TRY, one at a time. Things might get better. Things might get worse. You try things. Anyway...

after I click "advanced" I get several tabs. one says "trouble shooting". That has a slider for graphics acceleration.

There's also a special tab that my graphics card (ATI) has added that gives me a button to bring up their proprietary control panel. That has a bunch of options. Your card may be completely different. We don't even know what card you have yet. And unless it's exactly the same as mine I couldn't tell you much about it. But these things tend to have alot of options that affect what you see. On mine I have to have things set just right for the real time anti-aliasing to look right.

Remember what you are changing so you can set it back if it doesn't make things better.

And what happened when you tried a VERY small tga as a rotoscope?

Do you know how much memory your card has?

The quickest way I know to access the "Device Manager" which shows you what video card drive you are using is like this:

Right click on "my computer" (accessed either directly from your desktop or in the start menu). Click on properties (at the bottom of the list). Click on the "Hardware" tab and click the "Device Manager" button.

Click on the "+" next to "Display adapters".

Viola.... your video card driver.

Understand that this will only display the driver your have installed. The only way I know how to really find out what your video card is, is to open your computer and actually read the model off the card itself.

George