Hash, Inc. Forums

Laser Effect on a moving object

clonewar12345

I am trying to get a laser firing effect on a moving TIE. I know how to do it on a stationary object via a path. However I cannot get it to work when the ship moves. I tried making two extra splines coming out of the guns and constraining the blaster bolt to them but i couldn't find any way to constrain it to the splines. Is there anyway to constrain a strait path to a moving object to constrain the bolts too?

Any help would be appreciated.

A few questions first.

How are you creating your laser fire? is it an object (model with material and or surface settings, sprites, streaks..)?

The complication with constrain something from the ship to where ever the laser disappears, is that the starting point will move with the ship. Making the laser fire look as though it is turning in space when the ship isn't flying straight.

It would, in imho, be better to plan when the laser fire is to happen, and at that point in the Chor, with the ship in position (since you know how to make laser fire work with a path) create a new path from the muzzle of the laser on the ship to the length the laser light will be seen.

You could also try the Tinkering Gnome's experimental material laser effect Gradient combiner - Laser with pose slider But this method has the same problem I mentioned earlier, so camera angle and directional move ments of the ship when firing will result in laser light that doesn't move in a straight line.

Glenn

Why not try this:

Attach the path(s) to the blasters of the firing ship. Then:

If the ship that is firing has stationary blasters, constrain the root bone of the firing ship to "aim at" the target ship.

If the firing ship has turrets that rotate, then set the turret bones to "Aim at" the target.

you can make a splice that will be the path as part of the model then shift select it when constraining to the spline as the path

Could look something like this

bp.mov

v15 project

bp.zip

worked about 15 minutes so its not great but should point you the right way