Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Kinematic Constraint

flashawd

Hi - I have a character (robot) I made for a client and there is one scene where the robot has a wig on. The robot and the wig are two different models. I created on bone on the wig called "wigbone" and a bone on top of the character head called "head bone" - I am trying to to a Kinematic Constraint to attach the wig to the robots head. Clicking on the wig's bone "wigbone" and right clicking and choosing "Kinematic constraint" and choosing the "head bone" - it is showing that I picked the correct bone and it is 100% enforced in the properties, but the bone isn't jumping on the robots head? Isn't that how it works? I even tried doing it backwards by clicking on the robot head bone first, but still nothing. Can anyone let me know what I am doing wrong. Thanks - Eric

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi - I have a character (robot) I made for a client and there is one scene where the robot has a wig on. The robot and the wig are two different models. I created on bone on the wig called "wigbone" and a bone on top of the character head called "head bone" - I am trying to to a Kinematic Constraint to attach the wig to the robots head. Clicking on the wig's bone "wigbone" and right clicking and choosing "Kinematic constraint" and choosing the "head bone" - it is showing that I picked the correct bone and it is 100% enforced in the properties, but the bone isn't jumping on the robots head? Isn't that how it works? I even tried doing it backwards by clicking on the robot head bone first, but still nothing. Can anyone let me know what I am doing wrong. Thanks - Eric

Kinematic constraint will not cause the bone to jump - "translate to" will unless you have compensate mode on (in ver 15 it is on by default, in previous versions it isn't)

If you want to attach the wig to the head - you probably want to choose for the wig to "translate to" and "Orient like" to the head - both with compensate off if you want it to jump to same position, orientation as the head - or compensate on if you don't want it to jump & have previously positioned and oriented the wig correctly

Use a "translate to" and "orient like" constraints. Make sure the "head bone" matches the position you want the "wigbone" to be in. Or you could just position the "wigbone" to where you want it on the model and use the compensate button before you constraint it.

[Edit] Nancy beat me to it.