Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Hands

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• *A:M User*

Thanks for the comments

Mark Skodacek has helped me the most with his posts about rigging with Squetch Rig. He had some drawings that made me realize the hands I had placed on a couple of characters would not be possible.

Thanks to him.

Steve

Great job!

Could this be one for the "photorealistic" contest ?

If you wanted even more detail/realism, 3DWorld #105 (July) had a nice tutorial that added a lot of details in the modeling instead of with maps (the tendons, creases, knuckles).

It might still be on bookstore shelves and worth a look if you are interested.

Thanks. You are right the rig is very flexible. However, the placement of the thumb and its rotation never looked right. Especially when I had the character make a fist. The thumb would not cover the fingers when using the sliders. It was in my setup of the rig and the geometry of the hand. So I started over on the hand and the characters head. I hope to have a face to show here shortly. Work has been rough and I have not been able to do much for about two months.

Steve

Try bringing the splines between the knuckles

down and away from the fingers a bit.

Take a look at your own hands and notice

how much bigger your palm is than the back of your hand.

There should be a big slant from the space between the knuckles to the palm.

If you're going for realism that is. :)

• Hash Fellow
Try bringing the splines between the knuckles

down and away from the fingers a bit.

Take a look at your own hands and notice

how much bigger your palm is than the back of your hand.

There should be a big slant from the space between the knuckles to the palm.

I second that. But nice hands otherwise.

Hello

If your mesh was made for static representation (Stills) I think it is quite enough.

But for animation, you will certainly encounter some problems due to some mistakes in several spline segments orientation.

Explanations here :

Though scientifically not exact, maybe could you find some information in the Andre LOOMIS books, as this website point to :weblink

Hope this help :)

Alain

Excellent!

I see the placement of the thumb is to low in respect to the wrist. Also the thumb needs to be rotated even more. I am working on it now

Steve

Edit

I have roated the thumb and moved it vertical on the hand

palmer.jpg

handbacks.jpg

I see the placement of the thumb is to low in respect to the wrist. Also the thumb needs to be rotated even more. I am working on it now

The thumb pivots on a small carpal bone that is right at the wrist joint. If you feel where the largest bone of your thumb pivots you'll notice it is to the palm side of the rest of the carpals. If you face your hand palm towards you, you can see the most prominant tendon attaches right at this carpal bone. Think of it like a small extension a right angles to your palm on which the thumb sits so it can swing in front of the palm, while all the other fingers fold onto the palm. The carpals, metacarpals, and four fingers are sort of one layer of brick and the thumb and it's carpal start another layer. Most anatomy illustrations don't show this very well. Remembering this when you add bones to the hand might make the movement of the thumb look more natural when you animate it.

Great looking hand! I agree about the "webs" between the fingers--the webs are level with the surface at the palm side and slope back between the fingers toward the back. Look at your hand end-on and this becomes obvious. Also the flesh between the thumb and the index finger runs almost straight across from the second joint of the thumb to the first joint of the index finger. Also the joints of the four fingers follow arcs with the middle finger at the peak of the arc. The joints at the palm follow the same arc.

Basically subtle tweaks to a very good start.