Hash, Inc. Forums

At the Mountains of Madness

This has been on the shelf for a while, so I thought I'd dust it off and work on some improvements. Might incorporate it in an entry for the September image contest. So far this design is far too mechanical. I want to modify it quite a bit to give it a more "organic"--and menacing--look. Any suggestions will be quite welcome.

The really interesting challange will be to rig it for animation. Any suggestions for that will also be quite welcome. It is basically a "boneless" anatomy according to the novel, so it will probably look best if it can move much like a squid's tentacles or an elephant's trunk.

Really looking forward to Guillermo Del Toro's version of "At the Mountains of Madness"--currently in the works for release ~2010.

OldOne01.jpg

• Hash Fellow

I have no idea what that is, but good luck with it!

The really interesting challange will be to rig it for animation. Any suggestions for that will also be quite welcome. It is

TSM2 (now free) has many options for strange, oddly configured creatures.

It's one of the "Old Ones" from H. P. Lovecraft's novel "At the Mountains of Madness". Its a story about what an expedition of paleontologists discover in the mountains of Antarctica--an impossibly ancient city and what they thought were fossilized remains of the original inhabitants.

The Old One is one of the inhabitants.

Here is the city I did for the "Lost Worlds" contest. I didn't have time to make it look impossibly old, but I did get the scale of the city down:

ATMOM.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Made a better "wing"--beefier and a bit more organic in form.

I started with Lovecraft's description, including the relative proportions. Over time I'll take some artistic liberties and morph it into something more organic and menacing. For instance, I think the "arms" should be longer and a bit thicker--long enough to reach the "mouths" and touch the "toes"....long enough to grab hapless victims and rip them apart, and eat them, etc.

The wings look kind of useless, but imagine your surprise as one opens its wings, which start glowing with an electric corona discharge, with intense arcing to the arms which bend down. It then takes off flying like a rocket, propelled by five plasma jets created by the arms and wings.

I have a feeling this thing is going to be a real pain to rig...I mean "interesting challenge" to rig. It will be intersting to animate. At first it might not look all that creepy, but once I get all the parts moving, and figure out how this thing will walk, I have a feeling it will be plenty creepy to watch. Imagine trying to sneak up on this guy.

OldOneWing01.jpg

I'm working on making the feet look more natural...something more like this even though there aren't supposed to be any bones. I'm wondering if claws would help. I think I'll build more structure into the torso, not so smoothly rounded.

Textures will add a lot to the "menace" factor.

Maybe unruly blond hair and red overalls and a black and blue striped T-shirt? ;)

100_0076.jpg