Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Dumping Sand

Howdy All'

So I'm working on a project where I need to simulate sand pouring out into a heap on the ground. Do any of you have a good suggestion as to how best to approach this in Hash? It doesn't necessarily have to look ultra realistic. But the more real the better. Any suggestions.

I though of using a combination of dust, animated mesh and particles somehow. But I'm not sure how easy that would be. Is it possible to thicken and texture the fluid system in hash to serve this purpose?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would probably pull a softened cone up from under the ground plane as I had a stream of particles flow across its surface. To make the illusion work better I would put the camera in a position that we can't see inside the container that the sand is dumping from

the fluid particle I used for the babyspoon animation actually look more like sand.

very small particle with 0 viscosity

very long render tho!

I would just make the partcle at the tip where the sand being dump and a separate layer for the dust so you can adjust transparency.

http://www.gentlechifitness.com/images/fin...%20fullsize.mov

projfin280.jpg

• Hash Fellow

Here's my quick take on nf1nk's idea with a succession of cones poking thru each other to give the effect of the sand cascading down the sides.

sand.mov

sandcones01.zip

particles are troublesome in that they seem to be emitted in regular clumps rather than truly randomly.

Here's my quick take on nf1nk's idea with a succession of cones poking thru each other to give the effect of the sand cascading down the sides.

sand.mov

sandcones01.zip

particles are troublesome in that they seem to be emitted in regular clumps rather than truly randomly.

can you apply dust as well? I think your sand is good, and you can randomize the sand by adjust flow in animate mode.

the fluid particle I used for the babyspoon animation actually look more like sand.

very small particle with 0 viscosity

very long render tho!

I would just make the partcle at the tip where the sand being dump and a separate layer for the dust so you can adjust transparency.

http://www.gentlechifitness.com/images/fin...%20fullsize.mov

Good lord man! You feed sand to a baby? I'm shocked. It's like letting children play in big piles of broken glass!

;)

-vern

Nice test. Clever way to achieve the cascading

sand.mov

sandcones01.zip

Brilliant effect!

You could play with the particles a bit to make even better... have them... spread more at the base or just more irregular. That cone trick is VERY convincing. It is the... illusion of the sand falling down the sides that really sells it.

-vern