Hash, Inc. Forums

Lighting setup for Image

This question is for Sebastian Pfeiffer, winner of image contest:

What lighting setup did you use for your image of the cartoon characters?

Or possibly, are the characters shading in a particular way? or was just diffuse, ambient and specular colors used?

I ask, because, I'm liking the way the characters come across in your image. I'm trying to achieve a look very similiar to what yours displays, but perhaps with a bit more specular or highlighted areas on my characters.

Thanks in advance for any information.

To admins: I wasn't sure where to post this sort of question, so if it needs to be moved, I'll understand. Thx

i used a mixture of ambiance occlusion and some fill-lights... ambiance occlusion was set to "global color" (white), ambiance intensity 60% and ambiance occlusion to 150%... then i used some klieg-lights to achieve the back-light effects, so the chacacters edges had a sort of a glow... at the end there were 3 kliegs: one from the left front (30%intensity), one frome the right front (30%) and one from the back (60%). there was no ambiance set to any material, just diffuse and specular...

hope that helps..

Very nice. I'll give your settings a go this weekend and post a pic for viewing. I'm not a big lighting guy, i do alot of toon rendering and wanted to venture into more realistic but still toonish type work.

thanks for sharing. :)