Hash, Inc. Forums

Mirror Bones Plug-in: Questions and problems(?)

rusty

Hi,

I guess the first things I should check on are...

= Is the Mirror Bones Plug-in made to use with the Squetch Rig only?

= Are the 'right/left' search strings case sensitive?

= Are hidden bones/cps processed?

= Are unweighted CP/Bones processed?

= Is there a known problem with V14 (latest) and weighted CPs (like repeating a bone name with 0% or garbage%)?

Aside from that, I tried using the Mirror Bones Plug-in with the TSM2 rig and, I think it worked with the exception of the item below (realizing that some of this could be from problems with my model):

* I got some weird as well as extra new bones and bone structures:

Before:

Right ShirtPocket Ptr Guide

Left ShirtPocket Ptr Guide

After:

Right ShirtPocket Ptr Guide

Left ShirtPocket Ptr Guide

leftRight ShirtPocket Ptr Guide

leftLeft ShirtPocket Ptr Guide

Before:

1 right arm

1 left arm

After:

1 right arm

1 left arm

left1 left arm

I am fixing some things and performing a better test now that I know what I need to look for.

Thanks,

Rusty

= Is the Mirror Bones Plug-in made to use with the Squetch Rig only?

No, it can be used with any rig.

= Are the 'right/left' search strings case sensitive?

Yes.

= Are hidden bones/cps processed?

Yes, all child bones of the selected bone. You have the option to exclude the selected bone.

= Are unweighted CP/Bones processed?

Bones without weighting information are processed, I don't think unweighted CP's are though.

= Is there a known problem with V14 (latest) and weighted CPs (like repeating a bone name with 0% or garbage%)?

I'm not aware of any problems.

The information page for the plugin is here.

Hope that helps, Rusty.

David,

Thanks for getting back so soon... I knew there must be documentation somewhere... guess I didn't look very hard.

My tests show that the plug in works with the TSM2 rig except for half a dozen strange bones and bone structures it creates... I just delete them. Also, I came up with some answers that conflict with yours... err... with the version I'm using... I am 99% sure that I have the latest version of the plug-in but I need to download the latest to be sure and repeat my tests (unless there is a version # somewhere that I can check).

My tests seemed to show that the search strings were NOT case sensitive but... let me repeat and double check.

My tests seemed to show that hidden CPs are not processed but again... let me verify. Didn't try hidden bones. I prefer that hidden elements are not processed... this comes in handy for me anyway.

I'm 99% sure that bones assigned to a single bone (no weighting done) 'are' processed (mirrored).

The reporting the plug-in does is awesome.

Cheers,

Rusty

My tests seemed to show that the search strings were NOT case sensitive but... let me repeat and double check.

If not all of the bones follow the same convention, it will change the outcome, Rusty. All of them have to have the same case because you can only set one way of converting the names to right/left. If you set "right" to convert to "LEFT" the plugin will do that as well. So if some bones are named "Right" and some are "right" or "RIGHT", you'll have to do them separately if you want the same case convention used.

Hope that helps.

If not all of the bones follow the same convention, it will change the outcome, Rusty. All of them have to have the same case because you can only set one way of converting the names to right/left. If you set "right" to convert to "LEFT" the plugin will do that as well. So if some bones are named "Right" and some are "right" or "RIGHT", you'll have to do them separately if you want the same case convention used.

Hope that helps.

Hi David!

Thanks for the info... I confused it with this...

MirrorSplines.jpg

Cheers,

Rusty

• Developer

Hi Rusty

You and David are talking about two different plugins. The one , You have a picture included , is not the mirrorbone plugin, which David mentioned .

Hi Rusty

You and David are talking about two different plugins. The one , You have a picture included , is not the mirrorbone plugin, which David mentioned .

I know, what I show is the Mirror Splines plug-in... sorry for being too cryptic. I meant that Mirror Splines had a non-case specific mode and I had this in mind when I suggested that mirror bones might also be non-case specific.

Rusty

Maybe , adding a non case sensitive mode is a easy task .

Look at sunday on my homepage for the new version .

A man true to his word! Now can you add mirror smart skin to complete the package (pretty please)?

Rusty