Hash, Inc. Forums

Wonder Woman toon render

If your familiar with the work of J. scott Cambell (Gen 13, Danger Girl) Then hopefully you'll recognize my inspiration for this type of toon render. Wonder Woman was just the first superhero I thought to model (most likely becuase of all the chat about the movies, which is on again off again, then justice league, which is on again off again). Anyway, I'm posting because I was hoping for some feedback (as well as someone to tell me I'm not wasting my time).

About the model... everything i learned and applied here came from Demented3D's tutorials.. so props to that genius of a man! Everything is toon renedered and surfaced colored with gradients. The only decals I used were the stars and eyes. However, I just can't seem to get the hair right. If anyone has any advice I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

post-11782-1211357496_thumb.jpgpost-11782-1211357515_thumb.jpgpost-11782-1211357538_thumb.jpgpost-11782-1211357553_thumb.jpgpost-11782-1211357570_thumb.jpgpost-11782-1211357590_thumb.jpgpost-11782-1211357600_thumb.jpg

Well done, Dailan1! This looks like an excellent model indeed.

I'm not sure what you want to do with the hair but you might try making the hair geometry transparent and applying particle hair to it. In this way you can shape the style with geometry and rig it for animating. Turn collisions off unless you really need it.

• Admin

Nice modeling and render. You are definitely NOT wasting your time.

You could go the route of particle hair but I think your best bet may be to use images.

Frank Silas use to have perhaps the definitive tutorial on that method but he no longer maintains those resources.

If you have access to the Extra DVD it may be there.

I'll look for a similar resource but the idea is to use a series of layered meshes all decaled with strands of hair.

The hair image has an alpha channel that allows the lower levels to show through.

Of course a mix of decaled hair and particle hair would probably look even better.

For those not familiar with the reference dailan dropped you'll want to check out Matthew Krickets's tutorials. He hits all the basics and beyond from modeling, to rigging to decaling to toon rendering and more. Great stuff!

http://dement3d.com/tutorials/

Many comic book artists make the legs "extra long". I really like that look... and not just because Wonder Woman is hot either ;)... she is of course... but the long legs just add to that effect. I was thinking I might do something similar with my Terminator model. The long legs give it a sort of "comic" feel. One of the toy models I found has very long legs in relation to the torso and it has a dramatic feel. I was actually thinking of creating an "alternate" model with exaggerated comic book proportions.

Fantastic model by the way. Looks great.

-vern

I agree with Vern, and I don't do that often enough as he is kind of nutty! But I agree with the long legs are fine just the way they are. I love women with long legs. ahem.....okay.....just to say it is a fantastic model, ......and when can I play with her?

I have made my Danger girl model with red hair, and she wants to meet Wonder Woman.

I am sure Danger Girl and Wonder Woman would meet to exchange tips on skin care, hair products and balancing a busy career with family and if their hero costumes work better with heels or flats. No need to jump to any other... sordid conclusions.... you perverted juveniles.

p.s. Of course they would have pillow fights in their pajamas at the slumber party with Cat Woman... that's a given.

;)

-vern

This sure do look like a great model. Well done! Can you post a shaded wireframe?

Thanks for all your great comments... Here are the wireframes. I left the skin group open so you could see what is did for skin tones and gradeint. By the way, the entire model is set for 0.5 toon lines. And, yes, i agree, her legs are kind of long, however that is what most comic books aim at, as a matter of fact i actually shortened them by an entire inch off the rotocope i was using which i took from "How to Draw Great Looking Comic Women" by Christopher Hart. The two biggest issues I was facing was at least for Wonder Woman, she doesn't seem "beefy" enough. The other was the hair. Whenever you see her in Comic Book form, she has a huge head of hair that is curly and highlighted in blue. What I'm playing with is a way to get three or maybe even four differnt shades in there somehow.

And I know this is going to raise an eyebrow or two, but the reason I decided to do a naked model and form fit clothing around her, is this way, i can reuse the body for different characters as well as make it easier for costume changes with only having to do one set of bones, smart skin, poses, lipsync, etc. Change the hair and eyecolor, add a tattoo or scar, scale her height, tweak a few control points... presto, you'd never know it was the same girl.

post-11782-1211430243_thumb.jpg

post-11782-1211430273_thumb.jpg

post-11782-1211430287_thumb.jpg

post-11782-1211430307_thumb.jpg

And I know this is going to raise an eyebrow or two, but the reason I decided to do a naked model and form fit clothing around her, is this way, i can reuse the body for different characters as well as make it easier for costume changes with only having to do one set of bones, smart skin, poses, lipsync, etc. Change the hair and eyecolor, add a tattoo or scar, scale her height, tweak a few control points... presto, you'd never know it was the same girl.

or you can save the naked model as a base/template. That would at least keep you from having to manage the extra splines. This model is great though, cant wait to she her in motion.

Very nice model, Scott!

The possible problems I see are with the arms and legs...although it may be a style choice (like the leg length) as well. Arms and legs have at least one axis that is a straight line (for the bones), the axis that the limb bends on. I would move her knees outward (or move her feet inward) and her elbows up for that reason.

Feel free to ignore the suggestion, you've done some fantastic work so far.