Hash, Inc. Forums

Squetchy Rig Download

bighop

I would like to start using the new Squetchy Rig I've been hearing about.

1. Where do I down load it?

2. What version should I download

3. I'm using a Mac, does that matter?

Thanks

1. You can download it here. The Wiki will have a link to the latest version as well.

2. There is one ZIP file that has both four and five finger versions of the rig with optional four and five toe "Foot Gizmo" versions as well as an add-on for the on-character switches and documentation. There are additional ZIP files with several variations of "Squetchy Sam" (a rigged example character) and a ZIP containing simple toe add-ons for three, four and five toe characters. The Quad versions of the rig are in the process of being updated to the latest version.

3. It shouldn't matter if you use Mac or PC. If you find a problem, let us know and we'll try to track it down.

Hope that helps.

Ok, I down loaded the folders. Perhaps I'm jumping a head. I opened the models, and nothing appears. It's there in the properties, but no bones are visible. I'm just starting to watch the tutorials, but so far they don't cover this.

Any suggestions?

Picture_3.png

You want to import "13s_Posable_Five_Finger_Squetch_Rig_04_29_2008" model. The final import model is for after you export the model from the action.

The video tuts do not apply to the posable version of the installation rig. It's an action install that uses pose sliders to position the rig in an action.

• 2 months later...

I've been working with this rig, and I think my old G5 is too slow for this. Everytime I move any bone, or resize a bone it is very hard to move. Is this rig only for faster computers?

I know I have to update, but I hate to spend money!

I've been working with this rig, and I think my old G5 is too slow for this. Everytime I move any bone, or resize a bone it is very hard to move. Is this rig only for faster computers?

I know I have to update, but I hate to spend money!

I don't think so, Andy...I'm pretty sure a G5 is faster than my laptop (aren't they 64bit processors?). I'm using an AMD 2500 processor, which isn't a 64bit processor and is about three or four years old.

What bones are you trying to move and resize? Does your character have a lot of patches? For realtime response, you might have to make a proxy version of your character that cuts down the patch count. Do you have hair turned off? Have you compared the handling of Squetchy Sam to the character you are having problems with?

If you can give me a set-by-step of what you are using, we might be able to narrow down the problem.

Well the character is a "Bender" model. He is not too heavy with patches, until you get to the head. (no hair or materials on the model) I was just trying to resize the main bone and everything was moving very slow.

I was going to do a restart and try again. What is a proxy version?

Also, I noticed I need to remodel the arms a bit. When I put in the 2001 rig their was a lot of pinching on the shoulder. Nothing to do with the rig, everything to do with modeling.

Thanks for the help!

Well the character is a "Bender" model. He is not too heavy with patches, until you get to the head. (no hair or materials on the model) I was just trying to resize the main bone and everything was moving very slow.

I was going to do a restart and try again. What is a proxy version?

Also, I noticed I need to remodel the arms a bit. When I put in the 2001 rig their was a lot of pinching on the shoulder. Nothing to do with the rig, everything to do with modeling.

Thanks for the help!

By "resizing the main bone", do you mean during installation, Andy? If it's during installation, are you doing this in an Action using the installation Poses? If it's after installation, are you in "Bones" mode? If it's after installation and you are in an Action, what Pose are you using? What is the actual name of the bone you're trying to resize...and why...is it during animating or installation?

A proxy version of a character is when you simplify your actual model in order to get realtime response when animating by reducing the spline count, turning off hair, deleting decals, etc.

I'm not clear on the installation. The directions talk about importing the model. Do I then drag over the "Bones" and

"relationship" folder like I would on the 2001 rig? I'm going to sit down and review this again tonight. Also, I'm going to run Onyx on my computer for a clean up.

I'm not clear on the installation. The directions talk about importing the model. Do I then drag over the "Bones" and

"relationship" folder like I would on the 2001 rig? I'm going to sit down and review this again tonight. Also, I'm going to run Onyx on my computer for a clean up.

Nosir, the installation is nothing like the 2001 rig...if you do it that way, you'll only make problems for yourself.

First, open the version of the rig you need (four finger, five finger), import the model you want to rig, open a new Action, look in the "Pose Sliders" menu for the installation Poses, use those Poses to position the rig, export the Action to a new model, then follow the instructions in the "Posable_installation_steps" text file that is included in the Zip with the rig.

I'm updating the installation tutorials this week, so there should be some video tutorials soon. The most recent version is Mark Skodacek's "Rig Along With Me" threads which start here.

Hope that helps, Andy.