Hash, Inc. Forums

Second model 1st time doing organic modeling

Kole00

Im new to this forum and new to AM and modeling. I did the first few tutorials in the book and kinda just started doing my own thing and learning myself the program. I posted a model of an axe i did with textures from a picture of an axe basically the same one.My 1st model

Now, im still working on this model im about to show and its my VERY first organic model. His name is Boon Dock Billy. Enjoy.

Oh. And please comment on it tell me what i should work on because in my oppinion i dunno if he can have bones put in his face and animate them without bad clipping. Any suggestions and criticism is welcome.

post-7-1075754855.jpg

Also the model is from scratch i didnt use any concepts or anything. so it was hard to get things lined up sometimes. in this model and my other one i like going into free view because its easyer to mold and refine the points.

Im doing my best with the back of the the head the only problem i have with this mainly is the splines sometimes i dont have enough to top to across so i have to do it a cheap way where i connect more than one point to another to get it to create a surface thats why i think u see some jaggedness in some small corners the lines instead of curving make an angle.

The only way i can think about making this model with less splines and more neatness is having to do it all over again. Heres a front view without rendering. Whats going to be really hard is putting bones in him for facial expressions especially with the mouth. oh an the right eyeball is suppose to be that big.

post-7-1075767072.jpg

Most of the time, I find it's faster to redo things than to try and hack away at an existing model. In fact, it's double faster because I've learned how to do it better along the way. No model is useless, no matter if you use it or not. A good way to model is to work in 2 dimensions first. Then when you are happy with the distribution of the splines, you can start pulling the points out in the third dimension. You may even consider sketching the model first and using that as a background template. Also, remember, you only have to model half the face and flip it over. Happy modelling!! :D

He's got attitude. I like.

About those tricky CPs you mentioned... I had problems like that in my model, too. It pays in the end if you try hard to make every patch a quad -- that way, each CP has two splines running across it. It keeps things smooth and makes future editing really easy.

Have you tried using hooks and five point patches yet? Once you get the hang of them and learn to use them sparsely, they'll make modeling a ton easier. I think they're in the manual tuts.

Best of luck!

Your friend is looking a little australopithecine with that second image there, I agree. I personally think extrusion is the way to go, though.

If you feel that you should restart, don't be afraid to. I began, tweaked, and discarded some twenty original attempts to make a particular head I had drawn until I had something I could really work with, and that I kept. The best part is, seriously, you learn so much by doing this. You get an immediate chance to make a new model and avoid some small mistake you found last time.

There are some great tuts on the web, check out www.lowrestv.com/arm , I think is the link... it's very helpful.

Good luck! :)

Hi Kole00,

I think that some of your problems have arisen because, as you stated earlier, you didn't have any concepts or anything. I think it is always wise to make a plan whenever you create a model of any kind. This is because you are always faced with 3 problems when modelling; Design, Form, and Surfacing. If you can work some or all of these out beforehand it makes modelling fun instead of frustrating ( and you won't have to redo a model from scratch). If you just rush into a job, wrangling these three problems all at once is a daunting task. I hope this helps.

Javier