Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Lock Offsets

I seem to recall that if one were to constrain a bone's orientation to another bone that the first bone could still be re-oriented directly in an action and it would be marked as an offset when then moving the control bone. However it seems now (as of two days ago) I can no longer do this, and when I constrain one bone's orientation to another, the first bone can no longer be rotated at all apart from its control bone. The tech reference mentioned something about a "Lock Offsets" option that I have been unable to find but it seems to describe my problem pretty well. Once I make a constraint, the offsets cannot be changed in an animation and can only be adjusted directly in the relationship window.

Any idea what's happened?

Chris

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Hash Fellow

If you made the constraint in a chor then you can manually move the constrained bone (and its offsets will get keyed with the changes).

But if the bone was constrained in a relationship that was part of the model, then I dont' think you can alter the offsets from within the chor since the constraint doesn't really exist inthe chor, it exists in the model and trying to alter it over time would mean strangeness and confusion.

A workaround would be to have a bone that is a copy of the constrained bone and a child of it. It would move with the constrained bone and also be animatable.

But if the bone was constrained in a relationship that was part of the model, then I dont' think you can alter the offsets from within the chor since the constraint doesn't really exist inthe chor, it exists in the model and trying to alter it over time would mean strangeness and confusion.

You're right that the offset for this pose is itself not editable from the choreography or from within an action, but the *rotation* of the bone should be and this is what I have seen working in the past. Actually, if you make a new action with the Thom model, turn on IK Arms and then both of the Lock Hands poses, you'll see how this happens. The hands are set with an Orient Like constraint in the Lock Hands pose, but they can still be moved and fine tuned in an action. The only function of the constraint is to keep the hand orientation independent of the arm position (e.g. if Thom were to rest his hand on a table and then sit or stand). I've attached a screen shot, if it helps.

I'm seeing this work but I can't duplicate it anymore. Hmmm.

Chris

Thom_IKarmsLock.png

In hindsight, the screen shot probably isn't the most helpful thing to look at for me to explain this. I made a quick video with Jing (a slick, free app from the Jing Project) that illustrates the ability to move a bone that has a constraint. Hopefully this does a better job. The video is in Flash format.

http://homepage.mac.com/soupy/_FileVault/2008-05-04_1854.swf