Hash, Inc. Forums

Baby-ape

there will always be something else to tweak or change slightly but I think I've done most of the major modelling/surfacing stuff.

Small stuff left to do -

"dirty-smudges" on finger & toenails & teeth.

Wrinkles on top of fingers & thumb

But basically he's done. I'll now have a go in version 11 but I will do a different character instead.

finalape.jpg

:ph34r:

the fur looks so cool

Thanks but I only used the tools put there by Hash, first time I tried to fur this little guy up (version 8.5) fur was good but took an awful lot of working to get anywhere.

The above image - 1400 x 1400 pixels on my 900mhz processor (512) mb took 3-4 minutes with 9 passes.

At home on my Mac, a 233G3 with 128Mb memory a 900 x 900pixel image took about 7-8 minutes and that was 5 passes.

Hash have made PHENOMENAL progress with fur and the render speed since 8.5.

Thanks! I'm pleased that people have looked at the work. I shall post a wire frame but I left AM at home today so that'll be tomorrow.

The fur is in version 10.5 and I'm planning giving away an unrigged zip file but it's 7.2mb so I don't know how many people would really want that.

As to the fur-process - I had a lot of help & encouragement from others on this and other forums including Zandoria, Yves Poissont, Jim Talbot, KenH, Modernhorse etc etc I'm not sure about the rules here but if you want to follow the original thread that has images and how-to's, drop me a private email and I'll post you the link.

• 3 weeks later...

Gorgeous Work!

this really is sortof a criticizing on my part.. i've always wondered.. The hair put on NEW models (like this one) is VERY clean and it looks like it just GREW there!!!

Maybe, AFTER you animate him, it'll get an APEY, wirey look to it. even a little DIRTY? :P

• 3 weeks later...

Wow! This really is great. I love the facial textures. He looks capable of tremendous havoc. I can't offer any criticism for the ape. I don't think the diaper is working, though. I don't understand the folded paper-looking thing in the front and it needs a fabric texture to integrate with the ape.

Is it too obvious to mention that the fur isn't working, as well, towards the top of the diaper.

I don't want to seem nit-picky because, this is a truly wonderful model.

Mike Hart

PS - I've always preferred clean monkeys. ;)