Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

modeling problems

Ravager

my model was going fine... yet some kind of issue occured (i cant remember what) and now i can see only parts of the model, yes the model has textures all over it, and no matter how i load it, like into another project, it is still visible in partial places, but when i render it it looks just fine.... does anyone know how this might be fixed?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Show Back Facing Polys?

Tools Menu > Options, Rendering Tab. Choose Shaded mode, and make sure Show Back Facing Polys is ON.

If that is OFF, the patches that face away from you look transparent. It's a good way of finding flipped normals. To flip them the right way, select the Patch tool, click on the patch, and press the F key.

Thanks for that,Caroline. I usually just click "show normals" then spend ages peering at the little yellow pointers trying to establish the direction on tiny curved patches. This way is much easier.

Chris

crud, sorry to disappoint you but..... now it is back to its stupid thing again, and i have been switching the back facing polys on and off, and it does no good.

here is what it looks like when i render it in final:

post-9472-1209828618_thumb.jpg

Here is what it looks like in shaded, WITH polys:

post-9472-1209828677_thumb.jpg

here is what it looks like WITHOUT polys:

post-9472-1209828705_thumb.jpg

here is what it looks like when i am modeling it (shaded and wireframe):

post-9472-1209828782_thumb.jpg

It is like this in every project, model, or whatever i use or make... i need help, again. sorry again for this issue.

OK, to start with, I usually try and simplify what i'm working on so there are not too many variables, so, I would recommend the following to try and find the source of the issue:

1- Turn OFF "Show Decals" (red square with white star or ctrl-D on a PC to toggle)

2- Turn ON "Show backfacing Poly's"

3- Turn ON "Show Normals" (shift 1 - next to the Show Decals button)

4- Set modeling window to display Shaded Wireframe

Do you have any Surface properties defined for the Model or any named groups of patches ( e.g. Transparency)? Any materials applied to the model and/or named groups of patches?

If not, after seting the 4 above, in the Modeling window, you should see Yellow spike coming out from each patch and all patches should be visiable (default color is white, but could be different if you set the Diffuse).

What does it look like? ( a birds eye view might be more helpful for this issue)